What is the Point in Updating the PK in an UPDATE Stamenet

• In the main, you have to accept the poor code that some third-party products give to you.

If performance is really killing you, then escalate this to management. Give them a 1-page summary of the problem and its cause, and your recommendation that their support team is called in to help sort out the problem. Also get the traces and execution plans that a competent support team would need to troubleshoot the problems.

If the vendor support cannot fix the problems, then escalate this to management. It is important that management feel the hassle about this, so they take a management decision on how to proceed. If they decide to live with the problems, then you have to accept this but tell them what the impact will be to keep the application running. If they decide the problems are too painful, then they will escalate the problem to the vendor management. If that does not fix the issues, then the application may get replaced.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• YSLGuru (7/7/2010)

Apparently this lets the developers avoid learning how to use SQL

Then people asks why we are flooded by poorly written code. Appalling

YSLGuru (7/7/2010)

... and in a twisted way it promotes consistency. Granted its perfromance poor consistency, but it is consistent.

I see... consistently bad. 😀

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • EdVassie (7/19/2010)

In the main, you have to accept the poor code that some third-party products give to you.

If performance is really killing you, then escalate this to management. Give them a 1-page summary of the problem and its cause, and your recommendation that their support team is called in to help sort out the problem. Also get the traces and execution plans that a competent support team would need to troubleshoot the problems.

If the vendor support cannot fix the problems, then escalate this to management. It is important that management feel the hassle about this, so they take a management decision on how to proceed. If they decide to live with the problems, then you have to accept this but tell them what the impact will be to keep the application running. If they decide the problems are too painful, then they will escalate the problem to the vendor management. If that does not fix the issues, then the application may get replaced.

Great suggestions and in another situation I woudl seriously consider them but for where I m now this would not work. I have extensive knowledge on both sides (I knew someone who recently left employement of the vendor whos app we use) of this issue and so I know this kind of appraoch would not work. I do appreciate your taking the time to chime in.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply