• Grant Fritchey (4/8/2008)

Ivanna Noh (4/7/2008)

rbarryyoung (4/7/2008)

Jeff Moden (4/7/2008)

rbarryyoung (4/6/2008)

Jeff Moden (4/6/2008)

Heh... I handed Babbage gears 😉

Good one. 🙂

I was serious about my Uncle though, he really did do all of that stuff.

I have no doubt and that's something to be very proud of. It was the very beginning of an exciting age. I remember them showing Eniac on the B/W and talking about how someday, we'd each have a home computer although it would fill a small room. They had no idea how small things would actually get because the transistor still hadn't gained a commercial foot hold.

It was an exciting time, but it's got nothing on today. Seriously, living in the future rocks.

Is anyone else familiar with the "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch from Monty Python? :w00t:

"we had it tough..." etc

http://www.phespirit.info/montypython/four_yorkshiremen.htm

Luxury!

Just because I have not seen so many quoted replies in one post. 😎

Also, 'SEQUEL' has prevailed over the competition in this instance.

• Mike Menser (4/8/2008)

Heh... that's probably why I'll continue to use S-Q-L... 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Contrarian...

Goddess bless you. You guys are so entertaining.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Jeff Moden (4/8/2008)

Mike Menser (4/8/2008)

Heh... that's probably why I'll continue to use S-Q-L... 😛

youuuu JERK! Just kidding. 😛 It is entertaining to see the different ways everyone interacts with SEQUEL on such a mundane level. The way you say SQL is something a lot of us never even thought about. After I read the article in the magazine, I was really aware of how I said it for next day or two, that is for sure.

• Barbara A. Wagner (4/7/2008)

I usually say 'sequel'. I can't say I always say 'sequel', but since I read this question I can't pinpoint a time when I've said S-Q-L.

Barbara

Same here.

When reading some of the posts however, I caught myself saying "sequel Server", but "S-Q-L Database" and as for the Oracle post, I used "P-L-S-Q-L" a lot more than I used "P-L sequel", and I used that for about 15 years.

• Steve Jones - Editor (4/7/2008)

Hah, I worked with a disk drive you could see spinning.

Ok, it was old when I saw it, but the nuclear plant had this old computer used for moving rods and a few things. We used it because it was "certified" for nuclear work, but really read data off it and into PC and VAX systems that then were used by people. the drive was a 1MB drive, and the platter was about 2 ft across. It was under glass and you could see it spin. Very cool.

If I am not mistaken that drive was removable. 🙂 There should have been a handle on the top and with a twist, it could be removed. Almost like a cake dish.

• Steve, does this look familiar?

http://www.pdp11.co.uk/profiles/item-enlarge.ehtml?i=93

• Bob Fazio (4/8/2008)

Steve, does this look familiar?

http://www.pdp11.co.uk/profiles/item-enlarge.ehtml?i=93

No, that's an rk07. Rk07's were not see-thru as far as I can recall. Maybe something from the RM or RP series?

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Andrew Watson (4/7/2008)

... Either way, you're going to annoy someone!

Well, that IS one of the perks of what we do! :w00t:

• Perks? I thought it was the job definition!

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (4/9/2008)

Perks? I thought it was the job definition!

It is as far as I'm concerned. If I don't tick people off on a regular basis I'm not doing my job. It's how MUCH I tick them off that makes it fun.

• DonaldW (4/9/2008)

Grant Fritchey (4/9/2008)

It is as far as I'm concerned. If I don't tick people off on a regular basis I'm not doing my job. It's how MUCH I tick them off that makes it fun.

I like to use the color scale. The more red the face, the more successful you should feel! 😛

• Mike Menser (4/9/2008)

DonaldW (4/9/2008)

I like to use the color scale. The more red the face, the more successful you should feel! 😛

Particularly when they can't...quite...decide whether you are being insubordinate or merely disrespectful.

• DonaldW (4/9/2008)

Mike Menser (4/9/2008)

DonaldW (4/9/2008)

Particularly when they can't...quite...decide whether you are being insubordinate or merely disrespectful.

Personally, I live for the reports that "So&So won't come to you for help because you scare/intimidate them." I get those occasionally and it keeps me pumped for another 6-9 months.

• Grant Fritchey (4/9/2008)

DonaldW (4/9/2008)

Mike Menser (4/9/2008)

DonaldW (4/9/2008)

Personally, I live for the reports that "So&So won't come to you for help because you scare/intimidate them." I get those occasionally and it keeps me pumped for another 6-9 months.

Haha... I know exactly what you are talking about.... that is pretty true. The only part that sucks, is they are so defensive all the time about everything. Guilty concsience much?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply