what log does what?

• it seems there are several kind of logs. Tranactions log, error logs,

what other log are there???

So my problem. My server keeps going into single user mode everynight. I do not know why. Is there a log I can look at to figure out info on what maybe causing this. ??

• Have you got the -m startup switch set on the sql server in question?

(Right click on the server name in EM and choose properties. Then startup parameters)

Steven

• Another Log that can often be helpful is the Windows Event Log.  It sometimes has things in it related to SQL Server that are not written to the SQL error log.

and, just in case you are a little confused

Transaction log - is a record of transactions to allow point in time recovery.  It is a not a log that can be directly read for informational purposes.

error log - is your main SQL Server log this is your main source of information about activity in the database.  It contains SQL Server error and informational messages.

TJP8

• If your server is going into single user every night, you should probably look at your maintenance plans.  Some maintenance actions require exclusive use of the database, and a maintenance plan may put the database in single user.  If the plan doesn't complete, perhaps single user mode is left on?

Steve

• thank you all too much for your help ! this was very informative and I am sure has pointed me in the correct troubleshoting direction!  

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply