What rules of thumb you live by when programming?

• I have found that many bits of wisedom exist when it comes to programming. Thus I have, in my many years, developed 3 rules of thumb I follow that still bite me everyday.

1) It can almost always be done better.

2) Placement is everything.

3) Also double check 1 and 2

Ex.

1)

SELECT * FROM TABLEX

when all you need is COL1 and COL2 is better

SELECT COL1, COL2 FROM TABLEX

2)

Always remember when using subqueries that any where clauses directly related to the subquery run better inside that subquery rather than outside.

SELECT BLAH FROM TABLEA

INNER JOIN

(SELECT DISTINCT [NAME], [PHONE] FROM TABLEB) AS TABLEB

ON

TABLEA.[NAME] = TABLEB.[NAME]

WHERE

TABLEB.[NAME] IN ('JOHN', 'JAMES', 'ADAM')

Should be written

SELECT BLAH FROM TABLEA

INNER JOIN

(SELECT DISTINCT [NAME], [PHONE] FROM TABLEB

WHERE

TABLEB.[NAME] IN ('JOHN', 'JAMES', 'ADAM')) AS TABLEB

ON

TABLEA.[NAME] = TABLEB.[NAME]

Query 2 will perform much better than the first (especially when TABLEB is large).

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Sorry, hit post in error before I said.

What rules of thumb or words of wisdom help you as a programmer?

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• A short list:

• Never be afraid to ask for help when stuck
    • Always ask a peer to look over code for any issues when time and resources permit (and sometimes even if they don't).
    • Never assume that's all there is to know about the subject.
    • Never be afraid to try a new technology, no matter how seeming unfeasible.

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@sqlservercentral.com

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• remember to put that WHERE clause in the DELETE ... 🙂

had a few scary ones with that

• Always try to write it as well as you know how the first time - odds are no one will ever look at your code until it breaks.

Good code is elegant.

Code explicitly to stop as many exceptions as you can, don't rely on the error handler as a pseudo-event driven programming model.

Andy

• Always remember that programming is a service organization function. If you make software your customers do not use, you will not be a programmer long.

KISS is real (Keep it simple stupid)

If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first wookpecker that came along would destroy civilization.

An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely nothing

and of course.....

Work smarder and not harder and be careful of yor spelling

William H. Hoover

Louisville, Ky

sweeper_bill@yahoo.com

William H. Hoover
    Louisville, Ky
    sweeper_bill@yahoo.com

• 1. Always search for a SET oriented approach.

2. Smack developers who present you cursor solutions.

3. Have someone else look over your code if possible as a sanity check. This includes asking for opinions if you are unsure of something.

4. Don't combine developers, #3, and T-SQL

5. Adhere to standards, even if they are your own.

6. Force developers to adhere to your standards.

7. Choose a simple solution, but think about the exceptions and border cases.

8. Test. Can't say this enough. As soon as you think your tiny change will only affect one area, you will change something or break something that brings management to your desk.

9. Enjoy life. There will always be more work. Always be bugs. Always be enhancements. Remember that and take time away from work to enjoy your family and life.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Standards always seem to be an issue, so define a standard and stick to it...

Oh yes, and learn to avoid cursors with a passion!!

Deon

• Better yet:

Put a BEGIN TRAN before, (specially if it is late late..), triple check the resultset, pray, then COMMIT, and then, by instict, erase the COMMIT of your QA.

... of course forget and go on, there is nothing you can do anymore..

quote:

remember to put that WHERE clause in the DELETE ... 🙂

had a few scary ones with that

• Totally agree on 1. and 2.

Use a bat if necessary

🙂

quote:

1. Always search for a SET oriented approach.

2. Smack developers who present you cursor solutions.

3. Have someone else look over your code if possible as a sanity check. This includes asking for opinions if you are unsure of something.

4. Don't combine developers, #3, and T-SQL

5. Adhere to standards, even if they are your own.

6. Force developers to adhere to your standards.

7. Choose a simple solution, but think about the exceptions and border cases.

8. Test. Can't say this enough. As soon as you think your tiny change will only affect one area, you will change something or break something that brings management to your desk.

9. Enjoy life. There will always be more work. Always be bugs. Always be enhancements. Remember that and take time away from work to enjoy your family and life.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Always run your code first in development enviroment

• -- #

-- ### Add as many comments as you can to all your T-SQL

-- ### Ensuring that a reader of your code knows

-- ### Exactly what it is the following logical

-- ### set of instructions is expected to do.

-- #

DELETE sysusers

-- #

-- ### Then check that the above statement has completed

-- ### Successfully!

-- #

SELECT @l_Row_Count = @@ROWCOUNT

IF @l_Row_Count = 0

BEGIN

-- #

-- ### Operation Successful

-- #

PRINT 'PHEW!'

END

ELSE

BEGIN

-- #

-- ### Operation Unsuccessful

-- #

PRINT 'OOOOPS!'

END

-- #

-- ### End of Sillyness

-- #

• Check the data. Does the result set make sense? Are there duplicates?

• Admit to your mistakes....

I once deleted a whole database (OOPPPSSS). The vendor had created a file and not documented it (oopppsss), the folder it was in was also used for database files and finally got full. The database locked up. I went through files to see what I could get rid of. This was on a UNIX box...I am familiar with Windows. SO, when I double-clicked (to open) a file....I had forgotten that *.sh files are the same as *.exe and ran their delete database script. NO "OOOOPPPS, I didn't mean that" was built in, the commits were built in, so there was NO undo/rollback option. Luckily, for me at least, we had all the data else where. Eventually, there was enough of this stuff from the vendor and we said goodbye and went with a MS SQL Server option.

But the point is....after it happened, I admitted to my mistake so that we could figure out what happened and how to solve the issue. Not admitting to it would have compounded the problem.

• Anytime a programming dilama seems impossible to be solved, I remind myself "There has to be a way to solve it". And I found a way each time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply