What should the job title be?

• Having trouble coming up with at job title for this position. The responsiblities include:

1.  SQL Server administration of simple databases, although there are many of them.
    2. Some DB2\LUW  administration.
    3. Learn and utilize BizTalk for data movement (XML\Messaging) development between DBMSs.
    4. Support business users to help them create reports. Basically help them write queries with their reporting applications.

What do y'all think?

Thanks...Nali

• Some addition info to the above:

Job Title: ?

• Define, create and maintain primarily SQL Server databases that support enterprise applications.
    • Maintain multi-platform databases that support third party solutions.
    • Develop scripts, stored procedures in support of these databases and applications.
    • Be responsible for support, back up, recovery and capacity planning of multi platform databases.
    • Participate in design walkthroughs with appropriate groups and related users to verify that business objectives have been met.
    • Develop solutions using message queuing, XML programming, .Net, or other programming languages and data integration tools.
    • Create turnover documentation and procedures.
    • Adhere to the IS SDLC.
    • Adhere to the IS Change Control process and procedures.
    • Adhere to the IS Security/Audit policies and procedures.
    • Develop and follow a project plan when needed. 
    • Submit status reports on project progress.
    • Participate in Business Continuity plan.

Required Skills/Knowledge:

• 2-5 years of MS SQL server DBA experience.
    • 1+ years of DB2/LUW
    • A college degree in Computer Science or a related discipline

• (Or equivalent work experience).
  • Good oral and written communications skills.
  • Strong query writing skills.
  • Experience with .Net and/or other programming languages
  •  

Beneficial Skills/Knowledge:

• Retail experience.
    • An understanding of Messaging/XML/ ETL technologies
    • MySQL/Oracle dbms.

Additional Requirements:

• Provide off hours application/database support.
    • Be willing and able to learn and utilize new database platforms.

• If you want to get fancy, you could use something like "Heterogeneous Hybrid DBA", but as long as the job description is visible, even the simple "DBA" or "Hybrid DBA" would work fine. While it's not always true in other environments, in the SQL Server world, many of us are quite used to having to be the jack-of-all-trades. Some are even dbas/.net developers/network admins/printer unjammers/etc. In other words, one-man IT shops. Therefore it's not always easy to put a single title to describe the functionality, but the description will take care of that for the most part.

• Does Data Systems Developer sound right?

• It wouldn't be my first choice, based on your job description, but the description doesn't show which aspects are emphasized, and I'm also not an HR person, so I wouldn't take my word for it. Personally, if I saw that title, I'd assume that the job's primary focus was some heavy duty SQL coding, possibly working closely with front-end developers depending on the shop, and not a lot of administration, ETL, reporting, etc. If that's fairly accurate, then sure, sounds like a great title.

• Ok, sounds like it should be DBA/Data Systems Developer. We're back with your hybrids.

• Just being a bit silly here... how about "1 man/woman IT department who knows something about everything?"

... or less silly... "DBA and Jack of all trades"?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• The reality is that this is a small IT shop. We need a DBA to support the database infrastructure, but the maintenance work is probably not more than 2 to 3 hours per day. The rest of the time can be filled doing fun stuff like trying to integrate disparate systems and applications using BizTalk and Messaging.

• How's Database Administrator Developer and Intergration.

Then whoever get's the job can simply ask: Who's the DADI?

Ade

A Freudian Slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
    For detail-enriched answers, ask detail-enriched questions...[/url]

• Small shop?  In that case and having been there myself... you'll be amazed at how many good bites you get with the seemingly silly "DBA and Jack of all trades" title... it describes just exactly what you need and implies that you'll need someone flexible enough to survive and provide some great utility for a small company.  It's also a real eye-catcher... people really get tired of the same old ads for help...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I agree with Jeff I am looking but I will not apply for such position because it is not practical for one person to perform such tasks even in 100 people company.  Biztalk EDI(electornic data interchange) alone is one person's job, admin of DB2, Oracle and MySQL require another person and then there is a SQL Server DBA/Developer needed.  If you plan to get some one who will not be looking the first day you hire the person then get practical and you will get skilled people.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• I think that for cases when you have had viarious assignments with different database platforms the most appropriate title would be Database Engineer. This is the title I had some time ago.

• Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply