What would be the process to Upgrade a SQL Server 2012 Ent. Act/Pass Failover Cluster to a SQL Server 2014 Ent. Failover Cluster

• Hi,

This is my current scenario:

Windows Server 2008 R2

SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Edition Active \ Passive Failover Cluster

Intended scenario:

Windows Server 2012 R2

MS SQL Server 2014 Enterprise Edition Active \ Passive Failover Cluster

Based on this what do you recommend as the procedure?

1- In place - OS upgrade

2- In place - SQL Upgrade

Will above steps be a feasible option?

Thanks in advanced for your comments

• Are you planning on upgrading your existing cluster (the cluster nodes), or, are you going to totally different hardware with upgraded an OS?

• I would start by reading Perry Whittle's stairway at http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/stairway/112556/.

I would then chose the option you didn't list:

1. Install OS on new hardware and get the cluster created. Test.

2. Install SQL Server on new hardware. Test.

3. Migrate databases from old hardware to new hardware. Test each one.

• In place upgrade is really not something you want to do. If the upgrade fails then you have a unstable system (possibly one that is dead) and no backout plan. Also, even if you DO attempt this do it in a NonProd environment first. Microsoft doesn't recommend in Place upgrades but it is supported.

• Markus (1/28/2016)

In place upgrade is really not something you want to do. If the upgrade fails then you have a unstable system (possibly one that is dead) and no backout plan. Also, even if you DO attempt this do it in a NonProd environment first. Microsoft doesn't recommend in Place upgrades but it is supported.

Markus, do you know of a page where Microsoft says they don't recommend in-place upgrades? That would be of tremendous help to me.

• This is not MS, but covers some good points on doing in-place ones:

http://sqlmag.com/blog/reasons-avoid-sql-server-place-upgrades

• APA0876 (1/27/2016)

Hi,

Windows Server 2008 R2

Intended scenario:

Windows Server 2012 R2

1- In place - OS upgrade

A Windows cluster requires all nodes to be at the same software level, therefore you cannot upgrade in place a cluster node as it would no longer match existing nodes.

Ed Wagner (1/28/2016)

Markus (1/28/2016)

In place upgrade is really not something you want to do. If the upgrade fails then you have a unstable system (possibly one that is dead) and no backout plan. Also, even if you DO attempt this do it in a NonProd environment first. Microsoft doesn't recommend in Place upgrades but it is supported.

Markus, do you know of a page where Microsoft says they don't recommend in-place upgrades? That would be of tremendous help to me.

Here

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/935197

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (1/29/2016)

APA0876 (1/27/2016)

Hi,

Windows Server 2008 R2

Intended scenario:

Windows Server 2012 R2

1- In place - OS upgrade

A Windows cluster requires all nodes to be at the same software level, therefore you cannot upgrade in place a cluster node as it would no longer match existing nodes.

Ed Wagner (1/28/2016)

Markus (1/28/2016)

Here

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/935197

That will definitely work for the OS. I was searching more for SQL Server, but this will suffice. Thank you very much.

• Ed Wagner (1/29/2016)

I was searching more for SQL Server

Doubt you'll find that, upgrading the sql server version using rolling update is a supported path for sql server

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Perry Whittle (1/29/2016)

Ed Wagner (1/29/2016)

Doubt you'll find that, upgrading the sql server version using rolling update is a supported path for sql server

I know, I just don't like doing it. I'd rather spin up new hardware and migrate the databases. It's safer and gives me a fallback position if something goes awry.

• Ed Wagner (1/29/2016)

Perry Whittle (1/29/2016)

Ed Wagner (1/29/2016)

I know, I just don't like doing it. I'd rather spin up new hardware and migrate the databases. It's safer and gives me a fallback position if something goes awry.

Yep, always my preference too

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply