What's in a Name?

• Gary Varga (10/29/2013)

marlon.seton (10/29/2013)

Gary Varga (10/29/2013)

Steph Locke (10/29/2013)

I frequently get Step, and not just from people emailing on phones - could be worse, they could call me doormat

Or just Door [Locke]. Sorry, couldn't resist.

You are on shaky ground if there are any DR & Quinch fans about Marlon!!! 😉

As long as I mind the oranges.

Yay!!! Marlon, you rock!!!

Is this now our own thread or do you think anyone else gets it?

• marlon.seton (10/29/2013)

Gary Varga (10/29/2013)

Gary Varga (10/29/2013)

Steph Locke (10/29/2013)

I frequently get Step, and not just from people emailing on phones - could be worse, they could call me doormat

Just you two I'm afraid!

I like Door [Locke] but War [Locke] sounds way cooler dont you think?

• marlon.seton (10/29/2013)

Gary Varga (10/29/2013)

Gary Varga (10/29/2013)

Steph Locke (10/29/2013)

Is this where we say "We own this thread!!!" or just see it as a cultural learning opportunity for all those repulsive alien weirdos?

BTW I saw a tweet last week where someone had in their bio "former Tharg". I was impressed. Don't know if I should have been but I was.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Steph Locke (10/29/2013)

Gary Varga (10/29/2013)

Gary Varga (10/29/2013)

Steph Locke (10/29/2013)

Just you two I'm afraid!

I think the path from Steph to War would be impossible for anyone to get who hadn't read this thread but, yes, I agree, it's much cooler than Door. So, are you changing your monicker on this forum?

Gary Varga (10/29/2013)

Gary Varga (10/29/2013)

Steph Locke (10/29/2013)

Just you two I'm afraid!

Steph, we all have a world of opportunities with our names but you have a couple of relevant options (if only slightly forced):

Code B Locke

Cyclical Locke

Ovak Locke

...but I think your War Locke is tops.

Gaz

• david.irvine 7489 (10/28/2013)

A long time ago, I knew someone whose surname was Null. Now that I work with databases I often wonder if any of you have encountered problems with this surname? I imagine that problems were more likely in the early days of database use.

This made me smile.

I have a fairly long first name that people always, but always shorten without asking me first. There's an abbreviation I'm happy to use, and one I absolutely hate, and they always use the one I hate. I don't know how to raise it without seeming princessy so I have to let it slide :crazy:.

(I don't want to say what my real name is, but if you imagine it's Rebecca, it's the equivalent of calling me Reb when I prefer to be called Becky or Rebecca.)

• Beatrix Kiddo (10/29/2013)

david.irvine 7489 (10/28/2013)

A long time ago, I knew someone whose surname was Null. Now that I work with databases I often wonder if any of you have encountered problems with this surname? I imagine that problems were more likely in the early days of database use.

This made me smile.

I have a fairly long first name that people always, but always shorten without asking me first. There's an abbreviation I'm happy to use, and one I absolutely hate, and they always use the one I hate. I don't know how to raise it without seeming princessy so I have to let it slide :crazy:.

(I don't want to say what my real name is, but if you imagine it's Rebecca, it's the equivalent of calling me Reb when I prefer to be called Becky or Rebecca.)

I know someone who says his name is Stuart and hates Stu. I was informed once (seemed a little brusk at the time) but never shortened it again. When I thought about it, it is an individuals prerogative what they are called. Stuart was only stipulating that I had overstepped the mark which I fully agree that I did (with the 20/20 vision that hindsight affords).

Obviously, banter between close friends is excluded 😉

Gaz

• lnardozi 61862 (10/29/2013)

My standard reply when they mispronounce my name the third time is, "It's okay, I know stupid people can't pronounce it."

Whip THAT one out in an important meeting and see who's crushed. People mispronounce your name deliberately to assert dominance over you. Usually they're incompetents who replace understanding with aggression. I'm nice to everyone that's nice to me, but if you want to be the boss you better BE the boss.

That may occasionally be the case, but more often it is not. Trying to put someone down for mispronouncing one's name could easily be interpreted as a 'power play' also.

It's good to try to pronounce people's names correctly but outside of your regular contacts, it's not hard to get some wrong.

Sometimes a name is not pronounced as it is spelled: Ray Davies of the Kinks says his name is pronounced as 'Davis'. How many people get that wrong?

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• I agree with jay-h, which I am mentally pronouncing, er, JAY-AITCH :-D. I don't think people who get your name wrong are usually doing it to assert dominance.

• Never heard of it as a "Power Play". Especially as it is deliberately getting something wrong. Having said that it is done in plenty of films by arrogant characters to annoy the gentler protagonist.

Gaz

• Beatrix Kiddo (10/29/2013)

I agree with jay-h, which I am mentally pronouncing, er, JAY-AITCH :-D. I don't think people who get your name wrong are usually doing it to assert dominance.

My name is unusual and easy to mispronounce. Happens a lot. Typically due to either not knowing or laziness (strangely even my father and his brother pronounced it differently). Neither case is worth getting worked up about, I've got more important things to do.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• Gary Varga (10/29/2013)

Steph, we all have a world of opportunities with our names but you have a couple of relevant options (if only slightly forced):

Code B Locke

Cyclical Locke

Ovak Locke

I like Ovak Locke. SSC combined with ie9 throwing 'show only secured content' guff won't allow me to change my nickname alas.

In reference to the guy who gets quite brutal to people who mispronounce his name - it is worth noting that he's brutal only after they get it wrong three times. Presumably, this is after numerous corrections so whilst I'm not sure I'd ever use his response, I can appreciate that it begins to appear purposeful on the part of the person mispronouncing it.

Gary Varga (10/29/2013)

Code B Locke

Cyclical Locke

Ovak Locke

I like Ovak Locke. SSC combined with ie9 throwing 'show only secured content' guff won't allow me to change my nickname alas.

In reference to the guy who gets quite brutal to people who mispronounce his name - it is worth noting that he's brutal only after they get it wrong three times. Presumably, this is after numerous corrections so whilst I'm not sure I'd ever use his response, I can appreciate that it begins to appear purposeful on the part of the person mispronouncing it.

For a few years I was a Sunday school teacher at my parish. One year I had a girl named Kiah (not pronounced like the car company). It took quite a few corrections before I remembered how pronounce it right. Not on purpose, but I was having a difficult time trying to remember every child's name.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.

• Sean Pearce (10/29/2013)

My name can be spelt a few different ways and I am used to people getting it wrong....

You make a valid point but it reminds me of the actor Sean Bean. How on Earth is anybody not skilled in the nuances of English (including many who have it as a first language) supposed to get that one right?

He should choose to be called either "Shaun Born" or "Seen Been", any other combination is just stretching the point too far 😉

• Richard Warr (10/29/2013)

Sean Pearce (10/29/2013)

My name can be spelt a few different ways and I am used to people getting it wrong....

You make a valid point but it reminds me of the actor Sean Bean. How on Earth is anybody not skilled in the nuances of English (including many who have it as a first language) supposed to get that one right?

He should choose to be called either "Shaun Born" or "Seen Been", any other combination is just stretching the point too far 😉

People in my country who are not native English speakers usually call me "Scene Peace".

The SQL Guy @ blogspot[/url]

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply