What's next for SQL Server?

• What's coming after SQL 2008 R2? Have I been working too hard and just not in the loop? Anybody got any news or rumors about what's coming forth from Planet Microsoft in the coming years?

A.J.
    DBA with an attitude

• A.J. Wilbur (10/19/2010)

What's coming after SQL 2008 R2? Have I been working too hard and just not in the loop? Anybody got any news or rumors about what's coming forth from Planet Microsoft in the coming years?

That would be Project Madison - the Data Warehouse appliance.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (10/19/2010)

That would be Project Madison - the Data Warehouse appliance.

Madison, renamed as "SQL Server 2008 R2 Parallel datawarehouse edition". Is that still delayed? I thought it was supposed to be out months ago.

As far as future rumours: no public announcements yet, so who knows.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Next features I am hoping for are

-load balanced SQL Server(s)

-the SQL OS 😀 (basically a single install, stripped down OS, including SQL, optimized for SQL)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply