What's the best way to get an entry level job on SQL server?

• I'm in my early 50s, and worked for a large medical corp. on their ERP system. Sadly that has been outsourced, and there is no demand for those skills in the UK at present. I've used SQL server for a few years, and taken the 2008 Database course in boot camp to boost my skills, but all the adverts are for expert DBA, not a newbie!

I still have the enthusiasm of a 12 year old, but how on earth do you get a foot in the door.

Any ideas people? North of England prefered.

• No jobs in healtcare NOR erp?

I find that a little hard to believe.

Anywho, when you see a job with 1 gazillion years of experience required you can still apply. Just be honest about your experience.

The fact of the matter is that most companies have a lot of problems finding (decent) help. Not even talking about good or great.

We've had to hire 4 people in tech and it took an average of 12 months for each to find someone good. And the pay is competitive (in the good sense).

• I agree with the wise Mr. Ninja. Don't ever let those silly requirements stop you from applying. Shoot, all the positions I've held have required a bachelor's degree and 5-10 years of experience. As stated, just be honest with what you know. If you can get to the phone screen and interview, you'd be surprised to find that most of the time hiring managers look more for passion to learn and strive for success than years in a cube or letters after your name.

Never hurts to apply, but you'll never know if you don't. Good luck!

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• Ya just get your name out there (recruiters, linkedin, monsters, firms, craiglist, etc).

At the worst you'd at least get small temp contracts and keep having a decent income.

I'm on just 1-2 small regional sites and I still get direct calls at home (from people who shouldn't have my number) to offer me <good> jobs.

Maybe I should start a firm :-D.

• My advice will be unpopular, but I struggled to find my first development position so started off working for free at an NHS business intelligence solutions provider.

I had some difficulty working it out with the Job Centre, but after 6 months I had a contractor position before finally accepting a position with another company. So I'd suggest attempting to get either an unpaid position with a development house or with a non-profit organisation (I never had any replies when I tried this, but I still think it was worth a shot).

Whilst I agree with Remi, applying can't hurt, I found the job market to be very fickle before I had a current position on my CV.

Forever trying to learn
    My blog - http://www.cadavre.co.uk/
    For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Cadavre (9/14/2011)

My advice will be unpopular, but I struggled to find my first development position so started off working for free at an NHS business intelligence solutions provider.

I had some difficulty working it out with the Job Centre, but after 6 months I had a contractor position before finally accepting a position with another company. So I'd suggest attempting to get either an unpaid position with a development house or with a non-profit organisation (I never had any replies when I tried this, but I still think it was worth a shot).

Whilst I agree with Remi, applying can't hurt, I found the job market to be very fickle before I had a current position on my CV.

The worst they can say is NO. And you're no further back.

However if you ask th right questions and come accross as a nice guy and possible candidate you can get references from that guy for another job. Or another position a few months down the line.

I'd go the free work version but only for a 1-2 trial. Might get you over the hump especially if you come across as very confident about your skills.

And it beats wasting time watching tv.

• Thanks guys, (and ladies.) I'm registered on Job sites, but that seems to just put you in touch with agencies who even according to their own business, don't always know anything about the job.

I hate lying or exaggerating, but acknowledge the need to sell.

Hardly sat watching TV! Luckily I hate it, so I'm building SQL2008 server on 2008 with VMware and trying to work through the Sybex and Course books for 6231B.

More ideas gratefully received.

• peterob1 (9/14/2011)

I hate lying or exaggerating, but acknowledge the need to sell.

Don't lie, don't exaggerate. A good interviewer will see through that and if they do you have lost your chance even if your actual skills were good enough. Be honest about your skills, no one knows everything.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • HardWork and Passion will fetch you all that's needed! Be sincere and march forward and you will achieve the best !

Get equipped with the best knowledge,experiment & practise as much as possible.

Check these excellent resources

http://www.brentozar.com/best-sql-server-dba-books/

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Books/

Thank You,

Best Regards,

SQLBuddy

• Similar to what cadavre did, I recommend looking at some "internships" or "freelance" work. Work on a project that can be posted on your resume and help build those credentials toward the expert level.

Also, network with recruiters and the local SQL user groups in your area. Networking can be one of the best assets in the job hunt - either to land some freelance work or that FT gig.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• You may also consider certification as one way to demonstrate knowledge and give you a slight edge.

• Bill Hansen (11/20/2011)

You may also consider certification as one way to demonstrate knowledge and give you a slight edge.

Many posters here conduct interviews and while it's not a deterant on your resume, it's not, by itself, going to get you the job if you can't prove your knowledge in the interview.

• True, but if you have no experience one way to set yourself apart and demonstrate knowledge, without the experience, is through certification. The certification may help get someone with no experience in the door for an interview. It demonstrates that they are eager to learn.

I wouldn’t recommend relying solely on certification. I would also network as much as possible, attend user groups, any free events such as Code Camps and SQL Saturdays and I would know the material behind the exams by working through examples related to the topics and use the tools and know how to use them and understand the material as opposed to just being able to answer the questions. I think these would be good steps to start with for someone with no experience.

• Not sure if this will help at this point, but an article I wrote a while back on this subject:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Career/73400/

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• I don't know how these things work in the UK, but here in NA the favorite tack is to volunteer time to a non-profit org. That gets the first real hands-on experience on the resume, with (probably) a good reference.

It often happens that someone working for the non-profit has contacts thjat can help you. (Boards of non-profits often have CEOs or CTOs.)

Volunteering usually does not work with non-profits that are unionized.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply