when will the process complete?

• I use mentioned below sql to find the status of process like index rebuild, restore job etc. I got this script from one of the training sessions. However sometime the script does not give the correct data. Does anyone have a better script?

SELECT r.percent_complete,

estimated_finish_time = DATEADD(MILLISECOND, estimated_completion_time, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP),

t.[text]FROM sys.dm_exec_requests AS r CROSS APPLY

sys.dm_exec_sql_text(r.[sql_handle]) AS t WHERE r.session_id = 59

• I generally use

select percent_complete, estimated_completion_time/60000.0 'EstimatedMinutesRemaining'

, *

from sys.dm_exec_requests

where command like 'backup%'

However, the Estimated_Completion_Time is not an accurate figure. It does give me a close enough figure on how long it would take to finish.

In BOL, it is marked as Internal Use Only.

You can use Stats option in the Backup / Restore commands. They would give the same information as is displayed by the about DMV.

• select es.session_id,es.status,wt.exec_context_id,wt.wait_type,wt.blocking_session_id,wt.blocking_exec_context_id, wt.resource_description, wt.wait_duration_ms

from sys.dm_exec_sessions es

inner join sys.dm_os_waiting_tasks wt on es.session_id = wt.session_id

where es.is_user_process = 1

Regards,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• SKYBVI (2/8/2011)

select es.session_id,es.status,wt.exec_context_id,wt.wait_type,wt.blocking_session_id,wt.blocking_exec_context_id, wt.resource_description, wt.wait_duration_ms

from sys.dm_exec_sessions es

inner join sys.dm_os_waiting_tasks wt on es.session_id = wt.session_id

where es.is_user_process = 1

Regards,

Sushant

Thank Sushant. This doesn't give what i need.I need to findout how much more time(estimate time) will it take to complete a process like restore and rebuild index.

• pankushmehta (2/7/2011)

I generally use

select percent_complete, estimated_completion_time/60000.0 'EstimatedMinutesRemaining'

, *

from sys.dm_exec_requests

where command like 'backup%'

However, the Estimated_Completion_Time is not an accurate figure. It does give me a close enough figure on how long it would take to finish.

In BOL, it is marked as Internal Use Only.

You can use Stats option in the Backup / Restore commands. They would give the same information as is displayed by the about DMV.

I am performing a restore now and shows '0' secs from past two minutes. This neither works for rebuilding indexes. Thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply