Where criteria not met, return a distinct blank row

• I have a query with many fields returning.  One field has the possible values, 0, 1 or 2.  I want to select rows where that value is 2 only, and if there is no value of 2, I want one row returning data for all other fields but blank for that particular one.  Can you help woth the syntax?  Ive tried variations of if not exists but am getting errors about more than one row returned.

Example dataset:

Customer.CustomerId,
    Customer.OrderNumber,
    Staff.StaffGroup,

FROM

Customer, Staff

WHERE

Staff.StaffGroup = '2'
    AND Customer.CustomerId = '12345'

I get no rows using the staffgroup  = 2 as it doesnt exist.  There are four rows with a staff group of 1, but I dont want these retuirned, I only want one row where that is blank?

Thanks

• Instead of declaring a list of tables, use JOINS. Your SQL is malformed, and doesn't include the whole picture, so here's a starting block
    SELECT C.CustomerId,
           C.OrderNumber,
           S.StaffGroup
    FROM Staff S
         LEFT JOIN Customer C ON --??? What your JOIN criteria is
    WHERE S.StaffGroup = '2'
          --AND Customer.CustomerId = '12345' -- You can't have this in your WHERE clause,
                                  -- as it's a filter. You could put it in your JOIN
                                          -- but I don't know what your goal is here
                                          -- and why you have a filter on CustomerID

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Tuesday, January 31, 2017 6:38 AM

Instead of declaring a list of tables, use JOINS. Your SQL is malformed, and doesn't include the whole picture, so here's a starting block
    SELECT C.CustomerId,
           C.OrderNumber,
           S.StaffGroup
    FROM Staff S
    WHERE S.StaffGroup = '2'
          --AND Customer.CustomerId = '12345' -- You can't have this in your WHERE clause,

Thanks, I was trying to keep the example simple.  The code (with a lot removed) looks like this:

SELECT DISTINCT
    DimCust.CustId,
    DimCust.CustId2,
    DimCust.FullName,
    DimCust.FullAddress,
    DimStaff.ResourceType

FROM DimStaff

LEFT OUTER JOIN DimCustStaff
    ON DiStaff.ctrResourceSer = DimCustStaff.ctrResourceSer

RIGHT OUTER JOIN DimCust
    ON DimCustStaff.ctrCustSer = DimCust.ctrCustSer

LEFT OUTER JOIN DimLookup
    AS DimLookupStaff
    ON DimStaff.DimLookupID_ResourceType = DimLookupStaff.DimLookupID

WHERE
    (DimCust.CustId = '123456')
    AND (ISNULL(DimPCustStaff.PrimaryFlag,'1') = '1' AND ISNULL(DimCustStaff.StaffFlag,'1') = '1'
    OR DimCustStaff.PrimaryFlag = 0 OR DimCustStaff.StaffFlag = 0)

ISNULL(DimLookupOnc.LookupDescriptionENU,'X') LIKE 'Level1' AND
    DimStaff.ResourceType = '2'

ORDER BY DimCust.CustId

Basically the above will return no rows if the customer does not have an associated DimStaff.ResourceType 2.  I want it to return one distinct row if there is a 2, and a blank row if there is any number of rows with anything other than a 2 including if there is nothing at all (only other option here is null or 1)

• macdca - Tuesday, January 31, 2017 6:53 AM

Thom A - Tuesday, January 31, 2017 6:38 AM

Instead of declaring a list of tables, use JOINS. Your SQL is malformed, and doesn't include the whole picture, so here's a starting block
    SELECT C.CustomerId,
           C.OrderNumber,
           S.StaffGroup
    FROM Staff S
    WHERE S.StaffGroup = '2'

Thanks, I was trying to keep the example simple.  The code (with a lot removed) looks like this:

SELECT DISTINCT
    DimCust.CustId,
    DimCust.CustId2,
    DimCust.FullName,
    DimCust.FullAddress,
    DimStaff.ResourceType

FROM DimStaff

LEFT OUTER JOIN DimCustStaff
    ON DiStaff.ctrResourceSer = DimCustStaff.ctrResourceSer

RIGHT OUTER JOIN DimCust
    ON DimCustStaff.ctrCustSer = DimCust.ctrCustSer

LEFT OUTER JOIN DimLookup
    AS DimLookupStaff
    ON DimStaff.DimLookupID_ResourceType = DimLookupStaff.DimLookupID

WHERE
    (DimCust.CustId = '123456')
    AND (ISNULL(DimPCustStaff.PrimaryFlag,'1') = '1' AND ISNULL(DimCustStaff.StaffFlag,'1') = '1'
    OR DimCustStaff.PrimaryFlag = 0 OR DimCustStaff.StaffFlag = 0)

ISNULL(DimLookupOnc.LookupDescriptionENU,'X') LIKE 'Level1' AND
    DimStaff.ResourceType = '2'

ORDER BY DimCust.CustId

Basically the above will return no rows if the customer does not have an associated DimStaff.ResourceType 2.  I want it to return one distinct row if there is a 2, and a blank row if there is any number of rows with anything other than a 2 including if there is nothing at all (only other option here is null or 1)

Example output and what I need (apologies for the formatting)

CustID    Staff Resource    Staff Name               CustID    Staff Resource    Staff Name
    123         1             Joe Bloggs                              123    1                   Joe Bloggs
    123         1             Jane Doe                                  123    1                   Jane Doe
    123         1             Jane Doe                                 123    2                     Miss Piggy

Result Required                                                Result Required        

CustID    Staff Resource    Staff Name            CustID    Staff Resource    Staff Name
    123                (null)          (null)                            123            2                Miss Piggy

• Stab in the dark, what happens if you move your DimStaff.ResourceType = '2' to your JOIN statement?

Is not, are you able to provide some DDL and DLM (check the link in my signature).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Tuesday, January 31, 2017 7:22 AM

Stab in the dark, what happens if you move your DimStaff.ResourceType = '2' to your JOIN statement?

Is not, are you able to provide some DDL and DLM (check the link in my signature).

That did it, so simple thank you!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply