where do you have your backups go?

• I'm wondering where it's recommended to place your backups? Do any of you have a seperate partion just for your backups?

• I just have mine go to a folder on the hard drive, then I use Veritas Backup Exec to copy those files to tape.

-SQLBill

• Can tell you how I do it hope that helps in the littlest of ways

OS backup is done to tape daily and that lives for a defined amount of time.This in turn backs up the directory containing sql backups which is overwritten every two days

Mike

• so then if I do have netbackup backing up everything it shouldn't matter where my backups go?

But does it matter if my backups are going to the same drive as my program and data files for sql server?

• From various articles I've come across, the consensus seems to recommend putting backups onto a separate drive.

However, I believe it comes down to risk of failure. If the backup and database are on the same drive, then this is a big problem in the event of a fatal hardware failure, if the files have not been backed up to an offline device.

If they have been backed up, then it may take slightly longer to restore in the event of failure.

• The most efficient way for me is to backup to a separate disk daily. RAID 0 is best for writing. If you lose a drive on the backup partition it's okay becuase it's just for backups anyway. Then we sweep the backup files with a normal file system backup since they're not in use. You must perform this step in case of hardware failure.

I overwrite my disk backup files daily (no cleanup needed). If I need to go back more than one day, then we go back to tape.

Nice and tidy.

• If you're transferring the backups of the SQL files over a WAN wire (FTP, etc.), be sure to ZIP or RAR them, I get up to 89% compression on some of my backups, making automated offsite backup go much quicker...

-g

-g

• quote:

If you lose a drive on the backup partition it's okay becuase it's just for backups anyway.

Murphy's law...

--Jonathan

--Jonathan

• Similarly to others here, I back up to another drive, deleting the previous day's backup. After the backup, the network backup copies my backup to tape. I also backup logs every 20 minutes, then Xcopy those to a completly different server so I have them in 2 places.

• So if I need to change where my backups go that's as easy as just designating a different drive for the path right?

• Yes. I originally created my backup jobs to go to the M drive. I just 'pulled up' my backup script, dropped the dump devices and readded them with the new drive letter.

-SQLBill

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply