where do ypu put a share?

• Environment:

Windows Server 2003.

2 node Cluster single instance of SQL Server 2K sp3a.

1 SAN.

Cluster groups are:

- Cluster group with its own default resources.

- Oracle group with its own resources.

- SQL Server group with its own resources (Server,services,disks,ip address....)

Disk v:\ is for SQL Server databases

Disk w:\ is for SQL Server logs

Disk x:\ is for SQL Server backups.

SO now I have to create a shared folder where the clients need to connect in order to launch the program (executable file *.exe) and maybe tomorrow I will also need to create others shared folders where to put others executable.

Questions:

1)Is it correct to create theses shared folders in the SQL Server group?

2) In wich one of the tree disks?

3) If I have 20 differents programs with differents security will I end up in having a SQL Server group with 20 different resources (file shares)?

Please advise.

Kind regards.

Franco

Franco

• The best way would be to not (mis)use the SQL-Server as Fileserver but to use an other Server.

If you must use the SQL-Server, and you want to create the share in the SQL-Server Cluster Group, you should use disk x:, since that should have the least impact on SQL-Server performance. (actually there's no need to use the SQL-Server-group, any other group with its own disk-ressources will do; in case of a failure the group will be switched to the functioning node in any case)

For 20 different programms you should use 1 share and 20 subdirectories, each subdir with it's own file permissions (ntfs-permissions on disk)

The share should get full perms for all.

Karl

Best regards
    karl

• A word of warning... wherever you put the share, make sure that you use Cluster Administrator to create it. If you create a share using file manager and then try to reference it as a cluster resource, it doesn't work - we found this out the hard way!

Tony

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply