where fldValue=123 vs join to table with one row

• I've run this test previously with similar results. I've attached the execution plan. I removed some columns so that we're just dealing with the view in question.

Thanks! I appreciate the help.

ST

• Sean Pearce (1/25/2013)

PLEASE NOTE: You have not aliased all your columns so I have no idea which tables they come from. You must edit the following queries to remove any non-aliased columns that are not from vwREPQICASSCostsByCC.

Exactly! As I noted above, that's why I didn't try a re-write yet. I'm certain the query needs at least some re-write, but w/o knowing which table/view every column comes from, it's like coding in the dark.

So, good general rules to follow are:

1) Always alias tables when using multiple tables/views in one query;

2) Always prefix every column with the appropriate alias when doing joins.

This not only helps anyone else looking at the query, it can help you if/when you have to look at it 6 mths later and may not remember all the table details yourself.

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

• souLTower (1/25/2013)

I've run this test previously with similar results. I've attached the execution plan. I removed some columns so that we're just dealing with the view in question.

Thanks! I appreciate the help.

ST

My original response still holds true. The view definition is not giving the optimizer a chance to find the optimum plan.

StatementOptmEarlyAbortReason="TimeOut"

What does the execution plan for the following look like?

SELECT

v.fldConsulKey,

v.fldPlanKey

FROM

tblConsul v

WHERE

v.fldPLanKey IN (SELECT X.fldIMPPlanKey FROM #tmpPlan X);

SELECT

v.fldConsulKey,

v.fldPlanKey

FROM

tblConsul v

WHERE

v.fldPLanKey IN (30472);

The SQL Guy @ blogspot[/url]

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me[/url]

• Thanks for the response. I've attached the execution plans.

I find it weird that the optimizer chose in both cases to use the non-clustered index for the seek. The table has a clustered index on fldPlanKey precisely to avoid this.

IDX_tblConsul_PlanKey clustered located on PRIMARY fldPlanKey

• Can you please supply DDL for tblConsul and #tmpPlan, including all indexes.

While you are there, can you supply the view definition.

The SQL Guy @ blogspot[/url]

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me[/url]

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply