Where is this package running?

• I have a package on Server1 and there is a job on Server 2 which has a step pointing to the package on Server 1. When the job is executed is the package copied and ran on Server 2 or does it run on Server 1

• I would guess that it runs on server 2, as this is where the agent job is that is running package.

you could always run Resource Monitor on both servers to check for sure.

• The machine which is running the .dtsx package is the one on which the package resides. So in your case, it will be running on Server 1. This means that any file names / directories / paths are all relative to Server 1.

The majority of the work is likely on the server which contains the tables / procedures / etc that the .dtsx package is using.

• The comment by kramaswamy is incorrect. The package will execute on Server 2. It doesn't matter where it is stored.

---
    SSIS Tasks Components Scripts Services | http://www.cozyroc.com/

• Are you sure about that CozyRoc? I swear I've tested that before and found that it was the server which had the package on it which was doing the work. I'll do some more tests though ...

• CozyRoc (9/7/2011)

The comment by kramaswamy is incorrect. The package will execute on Server 2. It doesn't matter where it is stored.

I thought of the same that package would be pulled from Server1 and run on server2. Can someone else confirm this?

• sqldba_newbie (9/8/2011)

CozyRoc (9/7/2011)

The comment by kramaswamy is incorrect. The package will execute on Server 2. It doesn't matter where it is stored.

I thought of the same that package would be pulled from Server1 and run on server2. Can someone else confirm this?

Confirmed.

Though the package may well use server1's resources, it will be server 2 that runs it.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (9/8/2011)

sqldba_newbie (9/8/2011)

CozyRoc (9/7/2011)

Confirmed.

Though the package may well use server1's resources, it will be server 2 that runs it.

Awesome. Thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply