Where should my SP be stored?

• I'm writing a DTS package which pulls data from one database into another. The data is returned by a stored procedure. The source database may be queried by many applications; the destination is for my application only. Currently they're on the same server but this will not be the case for ever (though they will always be on the same LAN).

Do I put my stored proc on the source db or the destination? For the sake of tidiness, I'd prefer to use the destination db and fully qualify the tables queried on the source db - other apps using the source db are not interested in my SP. But is there any performance implication?

The DTS package which calls this SP will always be on the destination server.

Thanks for pointers,

Bill.

• I would use the destination server for a couple of different reasons (which may or may not be correct)

1. IF this is to only be used by your application why muddy the water in the other server?
    2. IF you are going to run remote might as well use YOUR servers resources more than the SOURCE (I think this is what would happen but not sure)
    3. I like to keep things tidy and together as much as possible.  IF rest of your application is on 1 server then the rest should be?

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• I agree with all of these points, and that's the way I'm going to go.

Thanks for your help.

Bill.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply