Where should the DBA Team exist?

• Almost, but not quite... While the BS seems to occur more often than things getting done right the 1st time, I never allow myself to do things the wrong way the 1st time. That doesn't mean I don't make mistakes, but because of the way I approach things, the ones I do make have mostly zero impact, because the errors are usually just typos or other things that are quite easily corrected without impact.

While it may seem like the corporate world never does things right the 1st time, or perhaps not even the 2nd time, I actually have seen things done right the 1st time. I'll admit it hasn't been often, but whenever I had any control over things, they went right the 1st time, every time.

And I do realize that sounds like I'm blowing my own horn, but that's really not the focus here. I just have ZERO tolerance for BS - it walks, and money talks. The more of us that develop the lack of tolerance for BS, the more likely we are to turn the situation around. Of course, it takes an awful lot of patience (and way more tact than the most serious suck-up) to get past some of the extraordinary foolishness that insists on imposing from time to time.

I find myself only now starting to be able to combat the BS more effectively - a process that has little to do with DBA skills, but takes nearly 30 years to get good at (at least for some of us, anyway :D).

Steve

(aka smunson)

:):):)

PaulB (10/16/2008)

Steve --

Have you noticed that in a weird way you are supporting my position?

The parallel universe you are describing where college professors know what they are doing, upper management pays for all needed training, middle management knows what a DBA does and people are not stupid by nature... is unfortunatelly located at several degrees of separation of our universe.

So... bottom line is that it takes 10 years to properly train an elite DBA, the one comfortable doing Data modeling, Planning physical implementation and doing serious Performance tuning.

DBAs are the last line of defense, by the way... man the walls, look at the horizon, what you see? yes! a join developers/end-users force is marching one more time in your direction flying the colors of another crazy idea 😀

• I just keep reloading the ol' bucket of pork chops and I replace the bands in the sling shot every 500 shots or every week... whichever comes first. Right now, I'm replacing the bands twice a week. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• We have a direct from "Data Operations"

DBA (DB-developer) are with application and administration are on DO side.

-Forum Etiquette: How to post Performance Problems[/url]

-Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code to get the best help [/url]

• You must be getting paid awfully well that you can afford to throw pork chops 1000 times a week. Oh... wait... it's the same pork chop and it's long since turned into a festering pus-bucket of yuck. I'll hope you're using industrial strength gloves for handling it...

And yeah, that helps explain why BS usually stinks so bad... it's the accumulated stench of hundreds of hits from the truly OL' pork chop.

:D:D:D

Steve

(aka smunson)

Jeff Moden (10/16/2008)

I just keep reloading the ol' bucket of pork chops and I replace the bands in the sling shot every 500 shots or every week... whichever comes first. Right now, I'm replacing the bands twice a week. 😛

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply