Which book(s) are best for test prep & reference?

• It would be easier if there weren't so many to choose from (list from B&N below). I'm inclined to take one from MS Press, as MS should know their own product best. But which one? The first on the list is the one on the certification web page, the 2nd has "MCDBA" in the title & the 5th is 2nd edition. I want a good reference, not just a study & test prep guide - although those may also be very useful as references.

I'm looking at first taking test 70-228, then 70-229. I have experience, so I figure learning from a book & taking practice tests should be enough, as long as the book is good (accurate, comprehensive, and understandable) & the practice test representative.

Here's the list:

MCSA/MCSE Training Kit: Microsoft SQL Server 2000 System Administration

Microsoft Press, Carl Rabeler

Paperback, March 2001

List Price: $59.99

Our Price: $41.99

You Save: $18.00 (30%)

MCDBA Administering SQL Server 2000 Study Guide (Exam 70-228)

Joyjit Mukherjee, Inc Syngress Media

Hardcover, July 2001

List Price: $49.99

Our Price: $39.99

You Save: $10.00 (20%)

Test Yourself MCDBA SQL Server TM 2000 Administration (Exam 70-228)

Stephen Giles, Glen Martin

Paperback, November 2001

Our Price: $29.99

ALS Microsoft SQL Server 2000 System Administration with Cdrom and Book

Microsoft Corporation

Other Format, July 2001

Our Price: $76.50

MCSA/MCSE/MCDBA Self-Paced Training Kit: Microsoft SQL Server 2000 System Administration, Exam 70-228, Second Edition

Microsoft Press Staff, Microsoft Corporation

Paperback, May 2003

List Price: $59.99

Our Price: $47.99

You Save: $12.00 (20%)

MCSE: SQL Server 2000 Administration Study Guide

Lance Mortensen, Rick Sawtell, Joseph L. Jorden

Other Format, August 2003

Our Price: $49.99

MCSE SQL Server 2000 Administration for Dummies

Rozanne Whalen, Dan Whalen

Other Format, September 1999

Our Price: $34.99

MCDBA SQL Server 2000 All-in-One Exam Guide

David Perkovich

Hardcover, August 2001

Our Price: $69.99

MCSA/MCSE/Mcdba: SQL Server 2000 Administration Study Guide, 2nd Edition (70-228)

Joseph Jorden, Lance Mortensen, Rick Sawtell

Paperback, August 2003

List Price: $49.99

Our Price: $39.99

You Save: $10.00 (20%)

Not Yet Available.

MCSE Guide to SQL Server 2000 Administration with Cdrom

Mathew F. Raftree

Paperback, July 2001

Our Price: $66.95

MCSE SQL Server 2000 Administration Exam Cram Personal Test Center (Retail)

Jada Brock-Soldavini

Multimedia, December 2000

Our Price: $99.99

MCSE: SQL Server 2000 Administration Virtual Trainer (Sybex E-Trainer Series)

Lance Mortensen, et al, Rick Sawtell, Joseph L. Jorden

Other Format, July 2001

Our Price: $79.99

MCSE Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Administration Readiness Review: Exam 70-228

Irfan Chaudhry, Dean Bartholo

Other Format, March 2001

Not Currently Available.

Mcdba SQL Server 2000 Database Design Study Guide (Exam 70-229)

Jeffrey Bane, Craig Robinson, Anil Desai

Hardcover, January 2001

Not Currently Available.

Administrator's SQL Library Package

Microsoft Press

Paperback, November 2001

Not Currently Available.

MCSE SQL 2000 Administration Exam Cram

Kalani Kirk Hausman

Paperback, July 2001

Not Currently Available.

MCSE SQL 2000 Administration Exam Cram Personal Test Center (Jewel Case)

Jada Brock-Soldavini

Multimedia, December 2000

Not Currently Available.

Data: Easy to spill, hard to clean up!

• I found the two mcse/mcdba (70-228/70-229) training kit books from mspress to be pretty good review. However, I think it is worthwhile to check out other books about sql server that don't focus just on the exams.

These are two must-have titles:

1. Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Performance Optimization and Tuning Handbook by Ken England

2. Inside SQL Server 2000 by Kalen Delany

Also, check the book lists here on ssc (link is to sql2000):

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/books/books.asp?categoryid=2&categorynm=SQL+Server+2000

Incidentally, the All-In-One book by Perkovich is absolutely worthless. I recommend avoiding it. Read the comments on amazon.com and bn.com to see why.

Good luck on the exams!

Dan B

• I agree with Dan. The MS Press books for exam prep, backed up by those other 2 titles for bookshelf reference.

For day to day reference though, I can't go past Books Online. Make sure you've downloaded the latest version: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=683d71a6-bcf4-45a6-a2e2-f6ab5be3ef12&DisplayLang=en

Cheers,

- Mark

Cheers,
    - Mark

• Books online has gotten me this far

From both posts, it seems that maybe I was expecting too much - that the same book would do for exam prep & for reference.

Does anyone have an opinion on the MCSA/MCSE/MCDBA Second Edition book (#5 on the list). It costs a bit more, but I am inclined to get it because it is 2nd edition from MS Press. However, Microsoft lists the 1st book as it's official text for the exam. I'll try contacting MS Press & see what's going on.

• I checked & the table of contents from MCSA/MCSE Training Kit (1st book on list) and MCSA/MCSE/MCDBA Self-Paced Training Kit 2nd Ed (5th book on list). They match too closely to be accidental. It is confusing that the title changed between editions, but what can one expect from a company that completely overhauls their database and raises the version only a half point, from 6.5 to 7 - then makes relatively minor changes & raises the version 1993 points to 2000?

• I think you are correct that #1 is the first edition and #5 is the second edition of the same book. I am currently about halfway thru the #5 book "MCSA/MCSE/MCDBA Self-Paced Training Kit: Microsoft SQL Server 2000 System Administration, Exam 70-228, Second Edition".

So far, the first part of the book has been fairly general but I have not found any errors. I think the text has been skipping some details that might be on the test so I will review BOL before going into the second half of the book.

The second half of the book is all test questions like what is in the Microsoft Readiness Review books. I think this will be a valuable review before proceeding to the Transcender practice test.

So my strategy is:

First half of Training Kit

BOL

Second half of Training Kit

Transcender

I can't recommend the book yet but I can tell you it is definately not a reference book. Once I pass the test, my copy will be resold on the Amazon used book section. BTW, I bought the book from readmedoc.com which was cheaper and faster than Amazon.

• Thanks for the info & the readmedoc.com site, although I already used B&N. I ordered the 2nd ed. books for 70-228 & 229. My plan is 228 first, but B&N's discount lured me to buy both.

My goal is to pass both before 2004. Then it's 2 more tests for MCDBA.

• It's best to set a goal like that - both in the next four months. I studied for both at the same time and took the tests about 14 days apart. There will be some overlap - we are talking about the same application - so don't let too much time pass before scheduling the second test.

Bonne chance

Dr. Peter Venkman: Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Patrick

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply