Which instance to choose?

• So i usually don't have any clue which instance type to choose for any particular application to deploy. It's really difficult for me to assume how many cpu and ram will be enough for the particular application. How do you guys consider any specific type of instance type i mean large or medium or small to deploy your web application. Thank you.

• Are your applications already in production & you're just migrating? If so, then you can know what hardware it's on and what resources it's using.

Test. One of the nice things about using cloud servers is it's relatively quick, easy, & cheap to create & destroy instances at will for short-term testing.

So estimated needed resources, make an educated guess about instance type, do some load testing, & then adjust & retest.

• ratbak wrote:

Are your applications already in production & you're just migrating? If so, then you can know what hardware it's on and what resources it's using.

Test. One of the nice things about using cloud servers is it's relatively quick, easy, & cheap to create & destroy instances at will for short-term testing. So estimated needed resources, make an educated guess about instance type, do some load testing, & then adjust & retest.

The trouble is with the licensing.   You have to consider the licensing either for SQL Server or Azure.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Possibly. khatinsek didn't mention what applications are involved.

khatinsek: What vendor applications do you need to deploy in addition to your own web application? What operating system(s)?

Many applications, including Windows Server & SQL Server, are available on AWS EC2 marketplace w/ licensing baked in. I'm not familiar w/ what's available on Azure.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply