Which Isolation Level is used commonly?

• Hi All,

I am wokring on customizing Learning Management System which was implemented to use "Read Uncommitted" isolation level. May be because it's NOT a mission critical application.

How ever, I am wondering which Isolation levels are more common in the mission critical applications? As I understand, choosing Isolation level requires closer look into application performance. Though I understand different isolation levels (both Pessimistic, Optimistic), I don't have exposure to different type of applications and hence NOT sure ON what are industry standards in choosing the Isolation level.

Please help me..

Suresh

Regards,
    Suresh Arumugam

• The most common is "Read committed", it is also the default. What you are using is what is commonly referred to as "dirty reads". The isolation levels you are referencing seem to be what used to be refered to in Access circles. My experience is that most systems do not change the default isolation level at the server level. They sometimes change it at a process or sproc level to handle specific cases. This is also the model I have used in the past.

CEWII

• Read uncommitted is pretty dangerous for any number of reasons.

Most systems I work with are Read_Committed for all the details provided above. Some of the newer systems under development in 2008 are using read_committed_snapshot to take advantage of the reduced locking offered by snapshot isolation.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks guys for the valuable replies.

Elliott: In your reply, you have mentioned as below.

They sometimes change it at a process or sproc level to handle specific cases.

Does it mean changing the lsolation level in Sproc level? If so, what Isolation levels you generally prefer? Is sql 2005 Snapshot (Optimistic options) isolation level commonly used now?

Regards,
    Suresh Arumugam

• Basically what I am getting at is that for specific conditions you might issue a:

SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL [isolation levlel]

within the sproc. I usually only change the level when I have a very specific need. With that said I have never used READ UNCOMMITTED at the sproc level, I usually only perform that at the query level using the "(NOLOCK)" syntax. And only when I have thought through the ramifications of it.

I'm sorry I can't be much clearer, but the basic answer is, it depends..

CEWII

• And the developers can change the isolation level with connection properties as well.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks for your thoughts.

How ever, I am wondering how come "Pantom Reads", "Non Repeatable Reads", "Lost Updates" are handled if we commonly use "Read Commited" Isolation levels.

Looks like we generally bother only about "Dirty reads" even in mission-critical applications? Or do we follow some additional logics while using default Isoloation level?

Thanks,

Suresh

Regards,
    Suresh Arumugam

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply