Which SQL Server Editiion to use

• I am looking to run a SQL 2008 database to store around 2TB of searchable pdf documents stored as BLOBS within the SQL database. I have looked at filestream as a way of doing this but looking at the average size of the document (100k) I believe the best option here is to store BLOBS.

The database is going to accessable via a web front end allowing thousands of external custmers to access their invoices / timesheets. What would be the best editiion of SQL2008 to use for this ? Standard, Enterprise or Web ? Not sure where to go with this one !

• Is the database size your only concern? Can you give more details about the application and about the system you chose (i.e. 32 bits. 64 bits...)

• Simon AV (4/8/2010)What would be the best editiion of SQL2008 to use for this ? Standard, Enterprise or Web ? Not sure where to go with this one !

I would start by matching business requirements with SS versions... check here what each one of them offers to you http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/editions.aspx

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • We are looking at using 64bit.

Database size is not a major concern, 2Tb (including 2 years growth). So looking at around 12 million documents. I am concerned by the speed the SQL box will process search requests on the BLOBS and return the data to the web server.

Also as mulitple clients will be connecting we need to ensure the security of the server / data to as high a level as possible.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply