Which version to buy

• My SQL host is upgrading all their shared SQL2005 servers to SQL2008 Servers.

Locally, we have SQL2005 Standard edition which includes SSIS, which I depend on quite a bit to handle daily tasks. To work with the SQL2008 shared servers, I'm forced to upgrade to SQL2008 as well. But which version?

On the microsoft site it appears I have to buy the Enterprise edition to keep SSIS functions. And that's in the thousands of dollars. Way out of our budget. I'm hoping I'm reading wrong and can get a lesser expensive edition.

What's the cheapest version with 1 processor or 1 CAL I can purchase that has SSIS?

thanks!

• taking decision to use the SQL version is totally depend on your enterprise requirement.

like database size,user connections,implementation of high availability mechanism...

Regards,
    Shivrudra W

• taking decision to use the SQL version is totally depend on your enterprise requirement

Not true. I have minimal needs, one of which includes SSIS. That said, what is the least expensive edition that includes SSIS?

thanks!

• http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993.aspx#SSIS

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • PERFECT!!!

Much appreciated!

• I haven't used SSIS at all, so I'm may be completely wrong on this but, wouldn't it be MUCH cheaper to buy a copy of Developer Edition? How many users need the SSIS functionality? On the page Gail linked, it says that the feature set of Developer Edition is the same as Datacenter Edition, and a copy of Developer Edition is often less than $50.

• I need SSIS to automate data transfer and data grooming between our local database and 2 remote databases. Without SSIS I would have to actually work at my job. 😀

• clubbavich (1/19/2012)

I haven't used SSIS at all, so I'm may be completely wrong on this but, wouldn't it be MUCH cheaper to buy a copy of Developer Edition? How many users need the SSIS functionality? On the page Gail linked, it says that the feature set of Developer Edition is the same as Datacenter Edition, and a copy of Developer Edition is often less than $50.

You have to be careful with that approach. If you purchase developer edition, you need to ensure that all you do with it is development type work. You shouldn't use it to try and move Production data even if you it is only in the effort of developing a new package.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply