Whitespace in 3-part name ignored???

• Eric M Russell - Wednesday, March 8, 2017 1:16 PM

I would never name a column 'authorization'. It would be something like 'AuthorizationDate' or 'AuthorizationCode', etc.

"Never"?  Again, that was the business term they used for this.  I'm trying to provide a good, working data model for the business to use, not just solely follow naming "rules".  Sure, generally you want names to have specific rules and patterns, but if a certain term, and no other, has a specific meaning to that business, that's what I'll use.  I guess it depends on which you consider more important: modeling your specific business for your company, or following generalized rules.

Besides, frankly this often seems to come down to what's easier for developers to use.  I don't consider that particularly relevant to business needs.

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

• I would never name a column 'authorization'. It would be something like 'AuthorizationDate' or 'AuthorizationCode', etc.

"Never"? Again, that was the business term they used for this. I'm trying to provide a good, working data model for the business to use, not just solely follow naming "rules".

I'm with Eric on this one.  I would simply explain if necessary that reserved words need to be avoided.  These things aren't just "rules" that somehow exist for their own sake.  I've had too deal with way too much stuff because someone didn't follow the "rules."  This would not fall under that, but it is still a good guideline to follow.

• Heh... I don't let users design the tables and I do design reviews with the Developers prior to them writing code against new objects as well as having a written/enforced set of standards so no real problems there.  3rd party stuff is frequently a pain in the knickers, though.

My biggest PO is when someone tries to make a column name like "IsNotActive".

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• ScottPletcher - Wednesday, March 8, 2017 1:32 PM

Eric M Russell - Wednesday, March 8, 2017 1:16 PM

I would never name a column 'authorization'. It would be something like 'AuthorizationDate' or 'AuthorizationCode', etc.

"Never"?  Again, that was the business term they used for this.  I'm trying to provide a good, working data model for the business to use, not just solely follow naming "rules".  Sure, generally you want names to have specific rules and patterns, but if a certain term, and no other, has a specific meaning to that business, that's what I'll use.  I guess it depends on which you consider more important: modeling your specific business for your company, or following generalized rules.

Besides, frankly this often seems to come down to what's easier for developers to use.  I don't consider that particularly relevant to business needs.

A business term called 'authorization' sounds more like an entity than a column; something like: "Our collections department processes more than 2,000 auto-debit authorizations daily." Columns within that table would have to refer to something like authorization ID, date or status code, and my opinion is that the choice of column naming should ultimately be about what makes sense to IT and the SQL developer. In my universe the business typically doesn't see column names, only reports and screens with labeled data.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Jeff Moden - Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:20 PM

My biggest PO is when someone tries to make a column name like "IsNotActive".

and allows NULL as a possible value.  I took the afternoon off one day when I found an existing consultant using
    WHERE IsNotEnabled IS NULL

Wes
    (A solid design is always preferable to a creative workaround)

• My biggest gripe is a database modeled after what was previously a collection of Excel sheets. It makes sense to one person in the accounting department, and is totally useless elsewhere.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• RonKyle - Wednesday, March 8, 2017 1:48 PM

"Never"? Again, that was the business term they used for this. I'm trying to provide a good, working data model for the business to use, not just solely follow naming "rules".

I'm with Eric on this one.  I would simply explain if necessary that reserved words need to be avoided.  These things aren't just "rules" that somehow exist for their own sake.  I've had too deal with way too much stuff because someone didn't follow the "rules."  This would not fall under that, but it is still a good guideline to follow.

Ok.  That's nothing I'm gonna cause ill will over, not worth it to me.  Bigger battles to fight.

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply