Who deleted the rows?

• Hello,

This has been a busy DBA week for me. Whew!! Come on Friday. Well, I can't say that anymore with this job, it is seven days a week.

Anyway, some records were deleted last night about 10:00 p.m. This morning, our regularly scheduled transaction log backup occurred.

At about 2:00 p.m., management notices records are there and wants to know how the records were deleted.

One DTS package failed at that time. I checked the DTS package and there is no reference to the table that was deleted.

I have no idea how to script something that shows me the jobs that ran and at what time.

I have no idea who or what deleted the records. However, sure enough they are gone. Once again, I am asking the DBAs wiser than me for help. Is there a way to see who or what deleted records in a table at this point. I don't think profiler was running.

I've disabled the DTS package that failed at the same time for now.

Thanks,

Tony

Things will work out.  Get back up, change some parameters and recode.

• Execute this command and tell us the results:

SELECT *

FROM fn_trace_getinfo(default);

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Hello,

I'm getting:

Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Invalid object name 'fn_trace_getinfo'.

Tony

• Hello,

I found this query and ran it. It returned 0 rows.

SELECT * FROM ::fn_trace_getinfo(default)

Thanks.

Tony

• ... ?

You are on SQL Server 2005 aren't you?

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Yes, Sir. SQL Server 2005.

Tony

• Hmm, well that's too bad. Looks like your default trace is turned off. That would have helped a lot...

[/font]

• What does this return?

exec sp_configure 'default trace enabled'

I don't think that the default trace keeps record of deletes. It doesn't have all that many events in it.

If you didn't have some trace or auditing in place, there's not way to go back and see what happened.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Gail,

On the messages tab, I got:

Msg 15123, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_configure, Line 79

The configuration option 'default trace enabled' does not exist, or it may be an advanced option.

Valid configuration options are:

On the results tab, I got 37 rows of general configuration stuff:

recovery interval (min) 0 32767

allow updates 0 1

user connections 0 32767

locks 5000 2147483647

open objects 0 2147483647

fill factor (%) 0 100

media retention 0 365

nested triggers 0 1

remote access 0 1

two digit year cutoff 1753 9999

Thanks for the help. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something that I could or should be do to find out what deleted the rows.

Thanks again everyone.

• WebTechie38 (4/17/2009)

Gail,

On the messages tab, I got:

Msg 15123, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_configure, Line 79

The configuration option 'default trace enabled' does not exist, or it may be an advanced option.

Valid configuration options are:

On the results tab, I got 37 rows of general configuration stuff:

recovery interval (min) 0 32767

allow updates 0 1

user connections 0 32767

locks 5000 2147483647

open objects 0 2147483647

fill factor (%) 0 100

media retention 0 365

nested triggers 0 1

remote access 0 1

two digit year cutoff 1753 9999

Thanks for the help. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something that I could or should be do to find out what deleted the rows.

Thanks again everyone.

use the following code:

exec sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1

go

RECONFIGURE

go

exec sp_configure

• There's a chance, just a chance, that the queries could still be in the cache. Try querying sys.dm_exec_sql_text to see if you can find the query. From there you can might be able to find out who ran it looking at sys.dm_exec_requests.

But if it's already aged out of cache, this won't help.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• In his situation what is a good way to address this? I'm inclined to suggest that he restores from a backup containing the missing data. Once that step is done, implement a short term trigger to capture delete statements.

Is there any out-of-the-box tool that can do this in simpler steps?

• Not a trigger for monitoring, use a server-side trace.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant,

Good point.

I tried your query suggestion.

What's a good way to tie the cached query with the user? I can see the time it was executed and other statistics information related to it. Is there any dm function that can do this?

SELECT total_worker_time/execution_count AS [Avg CPU Time],

SUBSTRING(st.text, (qs.statement_start_offset/2)+1,

((CASE qs.statement_end_offset

WHEN -1 THEN DATALENGTH(st.text)

ELSE qs.statement_end_offset

END - qs.statement_start_offset)/2) + 1) AS statement_text, *

FROM sys.dm_exec_query_stats AS qs

CROSS APPLY sys.dm_exec_sql_text(qs.sql_handle) AS st

ORDER BY total_worker_time/execution_count DESC;

• You can try joing to dm_exec_plan_attributes and see if the user_id is available for the plans you're interested in. It might not be.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply