why did my sql services stop

• Our application received an ODBC connection error; and when I checked the sql server, both the sqlserver and sqlagent services had stopped.  I used the option to restart them and they both started with no problem.  How can I tell how and why these services had stopped??

Thanks for the feedback...Richard

• Is there anything in the error logs?  Primarily the last few lines in the previous error log and the first one in the current one would be of interrest.

• In the sql server log, I found an entry sqlserveragent service stopping due to stop request from a user, process, or the OS...

Then log entry sqlserveragent ended normally.

Does not explain who/why??

• Might also want to check the Windows event viewer for items around the same time.  It does explain why, someone or the OS decided to shut it down, as opposed to a crash of SQL.  I would see if someone for some reason decided to reboot the server.

I had one server recently that was supposed to be patched on a Sunday (OS patch) that for some reason did not reboot until 10 AM on Monday.

• The same thing happened to my test server when the Network Manager made some changes to the firewall.  Something sent a shutdown message to the SQL Server.  I never found out why, and he was the only person on the system at the time the server shutdown. 

Marvin Dillard
    Senior Consultant
    Claraview Inc

• I checked the Windows Event Viewer and found errors yesterday and today for the time frame (12 noon) the services ended.  The errors are regarding scheduled Windows Update Agent:  Windows faild to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Microsoft SQL Server2005 Service Pack2 (KB 921896).

I am assuming this is the cause.  Has anyone else have this issue and what would be the "Best Practice" regarding this issue??

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply