Why is article rated so low?

• http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/scripts/contributions/1552.asp

It seems like it has a decent solution and was just wondering if their was a better way.

• Probabely 2 things make this a low rating >>

1 - Formatting should always be done at the client if possible

2 - This doesn't need a function to be accomplished, it can be used straight in the select for better performance.

• So they got bad ratting possibly because of assumptions.

1 - Agreed, but as you said, "if possible".

2 - for a small shop/site performance may not be as much of an issue as reuseability.

Thanks for the feedback.  Only way to learn is from mistakes and questions

• There's reuseability client side too!!!

• Your assuming you have good programmers.  Could be good DBA and bad programmers.  Either way I do agree just saying that sometimes it can't be done the "best" way.  It was still nice to see another solution of a common problem.

It would be really nice if people voting could leave comments as well   This would allow others to know the good/bad w/o having to guess if there was something more than the obvious.

Thanks again for the reply.

• Add it in the suggestion section of the site.

• Just did

• The ROUND() function has a little-known third argument that specifies whether to round or truncate.  ROUND(<value>,2,1) would solve the problem better than the code in the article.

• Thanks Scott!!!  That is just the info I was looking for.  Now that makes function in the article useless and deserving of 0 stars

BTW My suggestion of a comments section is already on the list of things to do

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply