Why is Veritas Backing Up My Database?

• Hi,

I discovered something weird today. I full backup a database once a week then differential backup daily. Another log backup run daily before the full bk or diff bk starts. All works well as normal. I once was able to restore a log with STOP AT. Today when I looked into the backupset table I found that another backup type "D" running early in the morning. It runs once at 2 am and another time at 4 am. I didn't know what the heck this is but it caused my DR test failed when I restore the database from a differential backup. I discovered that Veritas backup was running a Shadow Copy Components for the whole server at the time the "weird" backup was logged into backupset table. The Veritas backup we have does not have SQL backup module so I always exclude .mdf and .ldf files from backup and have the Veritas to backup the physical backup files. Do you know why it happens this way and how to prevent?

I will log a ticket with Veritas but I think you guys here can give more usefull input.

Thx.

• I found out the cause. SQL databases are backed up to local disk then the whole server is backed up to tape by another server running Veritas backup. Veritas backup s/w does not have SQL or Exchange backup module. It backs up Shadow Copy Component and all files except mdf and ldf files on the SQL server. I drilled down Shadow Copy Component in the job setup and saw that it has a folder named User Data and below it there is SQL server. This is what "snap shot" backs up my database without my awareness.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply