Why No SQL Enterprise Manager on the passive node ?

• I installed SQL 2005 Failover Cluster on the node 1 successfully.

However, when I switch it to the node 2 (the passvie node), I clicked "Start", "Program" and "SQL Server" but no "SQL Enterprise Manager" item for my to click.

So I can't use SQL Enterprise Manager to do database maintenance work when the cluster switch to the node 2 though I can still use the SQL Ent. Manger on node 1.

(1) Is it normal or abnormal ?

(2)Was my installation procedure correct ?

(3)Can I just install SQL Client on node 2 one more time ?

(4)Can you suggest any alternatives ?

Thanks.

• onlo (1/29/2009)

I installed SQL 2005 Failover Cluster on the node 1 successfully.

However, when I switch it to the node 2 (the passvie node), I clicked "Start", "Program" and "SQL Server" but no "SQL Enterprise Manager" item for my to click.

So I can't use SQL Enterprise Manager to do database maintenance work when the cluster switch to the node 2 though I can still use the SQL Ent. Manger on node 1.

(1) Is it normal or abnormal ?

(2)Was my installation procedure correct ?

(3)Can I just install SQL Client on node 2 one more time ?

(4)Can you suggest any alternatives ?

Thanks.

1) Yes, that's normal

2) probably yes

3)Yes, Client tools and SSIS are not part of the cluster.

You have to install them manually on the passive node.

4) Why do you need one?

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• And by the way, it's called Management Studio in SQL 2005.

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• On your passive node, Go to your START-->>RUN, type in 'sqlwb.exe' and see what will happen.

• I don't generally bother with installing client tools on the server. I install the server stuff on the server, and the client tools on workstations where I'll be running them. Would that work for you?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply