will full backup break log shipping

• HI

Will taking a full backup break a database if it is involved in logshipping ?

Is there anything i need to be aware of ? - ie shall i change the default location of where it gets stored ?

Does selecting the 'copy only' remove any danger of things breaking as i believe this leaves LSN's order ?

• No, doing a full backup will not affect the LSN chain so LogShipping will continue to function as needed.

• Thanks very much. For some reason where I work they are saying that in the past backups have broken things...not sure what they have been doing historically.

Thanks for confirmation though.

• Most likely misunderstanding. Someone might have taken a new transaction log backup at the same time, or had a job that did both and didn't realize it's the log backup that breaks things.

• PearlJammer1 (12/23/2015)

Thanks very much. For some reason where I work they are saying that in the past backups have broken things...not sure what they have been doing historically.

Thanks for confirmation though.

If someone does an ad hoc full backup on a different disk and then loses the backup, that will mean that you have to go one backup further back to do a restore. This is why backup with the "COPY ONLY" option is available. That's probably what they were thinking.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• COPY ONLY is useful when differential backups are taken. A differential backup cannot be restored unless its full backup is restored first. A COPY ONLY backup will not change the full backup needed by a subsequent differential backup.

• Full backups do not break log shipping. The only things that cause the log to be truncated are log backups, an explicit truncate or a switch to simple recovery model

• You should be running regular scheduled FULL DB backups of ALL DBs (this includes LS source DB's) and DIFF DB backups too if needed because you need ALL DBs protected including the Source LS DB. You would not want to have to rely on a very old Full backup file and months of TLog backups to restore a DB if the need arises. Like the other posters stated a TLog backup ran outside of LS will break LS.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply