Will this break mirroring?

• Hey all,

Say my mirror is suspended and during this suspend time the principal has seen a MASS amount of change (tlog grew ~20gb on the principal). When I resume mirroring, I'm assuming that the mirror will be synch'd via the principal's TLOG ... Well, what happens when I run a TLOG backup on the principal? Will the mirror be unable to recovery after a TLOG backup occurs?

Thanks

• I'd be curious about this as well. I'll give you my swag, the transaction log backup will work, but the commited transaction may not get deleted. Sort of like what happens with replication, unitl the data is actually replicated, the transaction log won't get truncated.

Just a guess now, so don't take it as gospel. Again, I would be curious, as we are looking at implementing mirrioring for DR purposes.

😎

• Same here ... I think I'm gonna let my TLOG backup run and see what happens when I resume the mirror out of sheer curiosity ...

• Be sure to report back your findings. I'm sure I am not the only one interested.

😎

• Think I found my answer ...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/dbmirror.mspx

Database mirroring will not be able to initialize if transaction log records have been truncated from the log by log backups. Therefore you must restore those transaction log backups in sequence to the intended mirror database with norecovery before database mirroring will be able to initialize.

Figured as much, but was curious nonetheless ...

• Okay, so it isn't similiar to replication. Good thing to know.

Thanks

😎

• Adam Bean (3/14/2008)

Think I found my answer ...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/dbmirror.mspx

Database mirroring will not be able to initialize if transaction log records have been truncated from the log by log backups. Therefore you must restore those transaction log backups in sequence to the intended mirror database with norecovery before database mirroring will be able to initialize.

Figured as much, but was curious nonetheless ...

I guess the link which was posted here is for setting up the mirroring. Once the mirroing is setup, we should be able to take log backup from primary.

If you try to do below

backup log test with truncate_only

Msg 3048, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

BACKUP LOG WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY cannot operate on database 'test' because it is configured for database mirroring.

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

BACKUP LOG is terminating abnormally.

• Well, I'm happy to report that while mirroring is suspended, a TLOG backup does NOT remove committed data that has not yet been applied to the mirror. I was able to turn on mirroring without any issues.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply