Will You Become a Master?

• Jill-771690 (2/28/2011)

I often find that expertise is not so much “knowing more”, but having the understanding of how many things are part of a single idea or pattern. The Masters Certification is about this process. The ability to strategize a solution or even approach an existing issue with confidence arrives with this level of expertise, and as has been alluded to above – it is recognition; the certification does not impart knowledge. This ability transcends versioning, and often – platforms. I encourage you to become “recognized” or at least to seek this level of expertise - you will be recognized.

Hello Jillian, welcome to SSC. 🙂

I would argue in some ways about the certification not imparting knowledge, though some things changed recently. The MCM used to require a 3 week intensive training course at Microsoft. While that's no longer necessary, you still have to go absorb the knowledge, and a lot of it, to try to tackle the certification.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Hi SSCrazy and the SSC forum! and thank you for your reply.

Yes, there have been some changes. Prior to a major health concern three years ago, I was on track for the original program. The medical establishment cashed in my ticket, and I have just this last year got back on track for the Certification. I had the great opportunity of being on the "Ready" edge of "Set" and "Go" with the new program, and was the MCT to deliver the beta offerings to the four new courses targeted to bring more access to the program (as well as the self-study approach). I am sitting in the Oakland Airport just now crafting the Train the Trainer for MCTs who take on the delivery of 50487,88, 89, and 50490. Also in the works are collaboration and support community which debut with the courses in April for both trainers and aspiring MCMs.

The program targets the fact that there are many professionals out there who are experts (or nearly), and that accessibility to recognition and acquiring expertise should be broadened to both benefit the product and the community at large while not diluting the quality of such a certification. There have been concerns voiced among the existing community along these lines.

Again though, I would point out that much of what we understand as experts is the tying together of fragmented knowledge into a cohesive form, and the courses, knowledge, and the recognition (even certification) affirm this.

I invite everyone in this pursuit. It is worth the returns.

Jillian
    ~ we travel forward, no matter the turns...

• I have a lot to learn to get to the Master Level. But I like to learn and want to get to that level. Trying currently to learn and become better at my craft.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply