Win 98 Connection some work some don''t

• We still have some windows 98 machines and I have been setting them up to connect to one of our SQL Servers. Some of them have no problems others won't connect to that particular server. I can ping it, I can connect to other servers and their SQL DB. I am not using the trusted connection.  I am using the TCP/IP protocol and have loaded the latest MDAC 2.8.

I have type and re-typed the connection properties to make sure they are correct. I have tried using the IP and the server name. I have setup the HOSTS file so that the name is qualified. I am not sure where to go from here. The only difference I can think of is the qualified name of the SQL Server DB.   which is -- swami\datawarehouse  -- would the name length or the back slash becausing Win 98 to be confused? But, why on some Win 98 machines and not others???? I have updated all Win98 with the latest as well.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Kindest Regards,

Donald Mayer
    Oswego Health

• I did forget one thing. This particular server is Windows 2003 Business Edition and the others are 2000 sever.

Kindest Regards,

Donald Mayer
    Oswego Health

• Not that I'm a DBA but this problem sounds vaguely familiar. Are you completely sure you're using TCP/IP and not named pipes? Check one of the working Win98 boxes and see if the Netbeui protocol is installed. Then check one of the non working Win98 boxes to see if it exists there too. That's the only thing I can come up with..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply