Wind Sea Power

• In the area that i live in the UK we have one of the largest tidal ranges anywhere in the world.  There has been talk for quite some time now of a tidal barrage or tidal lagoons.  The tidal barrage would use something like 240+ turbines and produce the equivalent energy of 3-4 Nuclear stations, plus it would have a road across it to improve transport links, plus they could put wind turbines on it. 

Obviously there is a large cost invloved and there is the potential impact on the estuary environment.  These factors have to be wayed up against future energy needs, our commitment to produce higher levels of green energy and the number of jobs a project like this would bring to the area both during and after construction.

It seems most people are for 'Green' energy as long as it doesn't ruin their view, a fairly narrow minded approach, but thats just my 2 pence/cents/euros etc (pick best exchange rate) worth!

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

• The problem with the UK tidal power is building something strong enough to last. There was an experimental tidal turbine on one of the isles off Scotland. It was supposed to last 5 years, it lasted 2 months.

It was a massive reinforced concrete structure but it was blasted to bits by the North sea.

• A small oversight on the design front there then!  I think if this barrage is ever built i'll wait a while before driving over it.  Tidal lagoons http://www.tidalelectric.com/ seem like a good idea, but again there is the issue of building them strong enough.

• Thanks Steve, really interesting links.  The more i'm reading up on all this the more annoyed i'm getting that these sort of brilliant ideas aren't being used more.

• Mostly because the technology didn't exist ages ago.  Same thing with LED bike lights, a number of companies out there (US and otherwise) are working to get brighter and better-colored light out of LEDs.  I'll still see some stoplights with a red LED and a standard green bulb, the higher-wavelength LEDs are newer and more expensive than the lower-wavelength ones.

Sorry to digress - point is, yay for R&D that lets us save power in subtle ways.

-Scott

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply