window server 2008r2 and Always on

• Wondering if it is possible to configure AlwaysON on Window server 2008r2 Enterprise edition and sql server 2012 developer edition?

• First thing.

AlwaysOn is a marketing term, not a feature. The features are AlwaysOn:Availability Groups and AlwaysOn: Failover Clustering

Second thing, Developer Edition is licensed only for non-production usage. While it's common to test HA/DR setups before deploying to prod, usually the 'does it work' question is about production.

So, what feature are you interested in?

What edition of SQL are you running in production?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks for your reply. It's not Production. Just test servers. don't have plan to use in Prod.

• It is possible to set up an Availability Group with 2008R2, but there are some hotfixes that you'll have to download. I don't have the documentation at hand, but you can search the internet and find it fairly quickly.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Dan121 (5/5/2015)

Thanks for your reply. It's not Production. Just test servers. don't have plan to use in Prod.

Cool, so which of the features are you looking to test? Failover clustering or Availability Groups?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Both I guess. Don't I need to install 'failover Cluster' on the window server to configure 'AlwaysON' High Availability group?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply