Windows 2003 Server

• I have a windows 2003 server. It's a Proliant DL385. Physically it has 6 drives. Two of them are 36.4 GB. Another 4 are 72.8 GB.

When I go to disk management, I see 2 partitions. C drive (OS) is 33.91 GB and E drive is 135.66 GB.

How can i tell when drives are used for which parition?

If I wanted to increase the size of the E driver, how can I do this? How do I find out if there is a raid?

Thanks,

• techzone12 (6/24/2011)

I have a windows 2003 server. It's a Proliant DL385. Physically it has 6 drives. Two of them are 36.4 GB. Another 4 are 72.8 GB.

When I go to disk management, I see 2 partitions. C drive (OS) is 33.91 GB and E drive is 135.66 GB.

How can i tell when drives are used for which parition?

Do you see Disk 0 through 5?

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Your Proliant DL385 should have HP System Tools installed on it. If it doesn’t, go to HP web site and download it. Then run Array Configuration Utility and you will be able to see all physical and logical drives on your server. Only then you can decide how to expand your storage.

From what you said so far it seems that you have RAID1 on the first two drives and RAID1 + 0 on the next 4 drives. If that is the case you can’t do much with it. You are using all the space available.

You may want to add more hard drives or change RAID1+0 to RAID5. But again, run Array Configuration Utility first.

• piotrka (6/29/2011)

Your Proliant DL385 should have HP System Tools installed on it. If it doesn’t, go to HP web site and download it. Then run Array Configuration Utility and you will be able to see all physical and logical drives on your server. Only then you can decide how to expand your storage.

From what you said so far it seems that you have RAID1 on the first two drives and RAID1 + 0 on the next 4 drives. If that is the case you can’t do much with it. You are using all the space available.

You may want to add more hard drives or change RAID1+0 to RAID5. But again, run Array Configuration Utility first.

That is the best thing you can do at this point. I agree on what it appears to be for the RAID configs.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Also note that the stated size of the drives (36.4Gb and 72.8Gb) will be calculated using 1Gb = 1000x1000x1000 bytes, because that's what drive manufacturers do, whereas the operating system will use the more conventional 1Gb = 1024x1024x1024 bytes; hence the apparent difference in capacity you're seeing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply