windows 2016 can't connect sql server 2008 r2 installed on another srv w2008r2

• Hello,

I have a sql server 2008 r2 (10.50.1617.0) installed on W2008 R2.

With SSMS 17 or 18 or other installed on different W2016 servers, I can connect to sql 2008 R2.

But I can't from 2 other W2016 servers.

All of them are on same level : W2016 server standard, V1607, 14393.4583

Thanks for your help

Christian

• Hi,

any ERRORLOGs, is the service running, are you able to ping this server, and are you able to check if the port is "open"?

There are a lot of possibilities to check, please tell us, what you did to solve the problem.

Kind regards,

Andreas

• Hello,

This server can connect other SQL server and other servers 2016 or older can connect to the sql server 2008r2.

Ping ok. As I wrote, I find the instance in the search facility of SSMS.

Last remark : on the 2016 server, there is a SQL server 2016 installed.

Thanks & regards

Christian

• Are the right ports open between the machines, use TELNET or PowerShell TNC to check this.

Work with your admins to put in packet traces between source and destination on the ports you expect to be working e.g. TCP 1433 if using network hardware firewalls or your windows admins if you are using software based firewalls like the inbuilt Windows firewall etc.

You also SHOULDN'T be running SQL 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2008, these are now no longer supported by Microsoft and your setting yourself up for various issues with running unsupported software, attack vectors, legal and compliance requirements etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply