Windows Server 2003 SP1

• You asked today if there were any issues with SP1. I sure had one!  I started to upgrade our portal server yesterday, and partway through the backup phase it barked that it couldn't find the "support.icw" file to back up. I checked; I didn't have that file. No big, I thought, since it's the Internet connection Wizard. I hate that thing. I selected "Cancel" and the system asked me if I wanted to continue without backing that file up. I responded yes, didn't need it anyway. It proceeded to ask me about all of the ICW files, I responded the same. The service pack continued, and off I went. However, the upgrade tried to copy the support.ic_ file, and said it couldn't find it. It was right there, I retried several times, but it still said it couldn't find it. I even copied it manually, still no luck. This time when I hit cancel, the entire upgrade tried to roll back. But here's the catch - when it did, it barked at - you guessed it - support.icw. It wanted to restore it. This time it bailed completely. When it rebooted, it went into a bluescreen-reboot loop. Even when I tried the safe command line mode, bluescreen reboot. I tried a rescue disk; no luck. Today I'm restoring from a backup. Buyer Beware.

Buck Woody
    MCDBA, MCSE, Novell and Sun Certified

• Hmmmm, I too had problems with SP1. After what appeared to be a clean installation my system rebooted and began reporting DLL load/entrypoint errors for MMC snap-ins and other SQL related items. After some debugging I determined to try reloading SQL Server. But alas, the uninstall dialog even bombed with the same DLL load/entrypoint errors! In frustration I rebooted my system (I know, I should have already done that 5 or 6 times...)

Now everything seems to be fine...

PeteK
    I have CDO. It's like OCD but all the letters are in alphabetical order... as they should be.

• There was a post in one of the email lists I follow that a gentleman had a successful install with every server but 1, a DC. That, too, bluescreened.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• I installed it one one machine, no problems found so far.

• I've installed it on 2 SQL servers presently (one my test server and the other my desktop server). One a single default instance and another with 2 named instances. No issues to date. I'm also running the full 2003 office suite and everything else 2003 that Microsoft has on the desktop server along with another half dozen or so vendor applications.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply