Windows Server 2008 R2 updates on SQL Server Database

• Hello All,

I have 23 Important updates(Windows) and 1 optional update(Windows) waiting on my Database Server. Its a windows server 2008 R2 X64 bit OS and the SQL Server version is:

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) - 10.0.2531.0 (X64) Mar 29 2009 10:11:52 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7600: )

How do i know if the updates are going to have a good/bad impact on my database server? What is the correct way of identifying which updates are necessary and which are not??

Thanks for ur help in advance

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” -- John Quincy Adams

• The last time the updates were run on this production DB server was in July,2011.

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” -- John Quincy Adams

• I normally apply updates to development and testing environments and let them run for a few days before applying to production; additionally I backup the production server (the OS/apps not just the DB) immediately before applying an update to msss. Finally I have the luxury of applying updates off hours so I have time to rollback/recover from backup if things don't work right.

• Sapen (10/27/2011)

How do i know if the updates are going to have a good/bad impact on my database server? What is the correct way of identifying which updates are necessary and which are not??

You've no way of knowing without applying them. Windows server is a complex beast and ths smallest change could have an impact. As stated, you will find most of us will apply this to some test environment first before applying them to live. Let them run for x number of days before deciding to put them live.

• Thank You...I have scheduled to go on installing the updates on staging env. tonight. I will plan on monitoring for 1 week before I update the prod server.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply