Windows update on Virtual SQL Server 2016.

• We have a Virtual Server with Windows Server 2012 & SQL 2016 installed on it. When we restart the server to apply windows updates we find that we get logged off the rdp session but the server is still available as it is being monitored via SentryOne, during this time we receive reply on ping.

We then lose three or four ping requests and after this we can RDP on to the server but we see Windows updates being installed and not the Server desktop.

We seem to think that SQL Services get started at this point, that is before the Server desktop is made available. As the said server has Always on setup, all read requests get routed to the secondary server therefore it seems that even before the databases gets the changes applied to it, queries are being executed and producing incorrect results.

FYI - SQL Service are set to Delayed Start. Has anyone seen such an issue in their VM environments?

Any help/advice is welcome and thanking you in anticipation.

• Which server gets updates and which gets restarted? It's unclear from your post. I assume you mean the guest gets restarted, but not sure.

I don't know that I've seen this, but I have seen SQL Server startup and get connection requests before I can get to the desktop.

• Hi Steve, Sorry I did not explain that clearly and thank you for your post.

I was restarting the Secondary (Synch) node of a AlwayOn cluster. On restart the secondary node applies Windows updates and i see the behaviour mentioned above.

As a work around we have thought of Stopping & Disabling SQL Server services - Restarting the server and then manually restarting the SQL Services again.

What we are unsure about is when the database get synchronised with the primary node after a restart. Is it when the SQL service come on or when we are able to login and get to the server desktop?

Kind Regards

Kailash.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply