WinServ2003 & MSSQL 2K Does Not Play Together Well

• We have WinServ2003 and MSSQL 2K on a development server and have encountered nothing but trouble.

Constantly getting this message:

Server: Msg 845, Level 17, State 1, Line 1 - Time-out occurred while waiting for buffer latch type 2 for page (1:2981), database ID 5.

And this message:

Time-out occurred while waiting for buffer latch type 4 for page (1:0), database ID 5. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 845)

AWE is off.

Was going to re-apply Service Pack 3 - now I'm getting this message...

A previous program installation created pending file operations. You must restart the computer before running setup

This message is occuring after restarting the server.

• I would look at something else.  No good ideas, but it looks like some software installation had problems.

FYI I am running Win2003 EE, with SQL2k EE without any issue's.

Not hit by a large number of users, but those users hit hard.

KlK

• FOr the "A previous program installation ..." message, clear out the temp directory before running the setup program.

It's supposed to be cleared when you reboot, but sometimes it isn't.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• Found lots of good info here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310834&Product=sql

Also learned that ccmsetup was the culprit causing the restart required message.  Reg Key hack

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\pendingfilerenameoperations

This lead to MS SMS which caused the whole mess!!

Thanks to all who helped

• And Thankyou for posting the solution

KlK

• I am having similar trouble.  I have 2 clustered win 2003 servers.  When I installed SQL 2k, I get a message that the virtual server is already in use.  Any ideas on that?

• Your issue may have a connection with the following:

The MSCS cluster group that holds the database files for a SQL Server instance is associated with a SQL Server virtual server name that users give during SQL Server setup. The restriction is that there can only be one SQL Server instance per virtual server.

Regards

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply