WITH ENCRYPTION

• Howdy,

I’ve recently discovered ‘WITH ENCRYPTION’.

Is there any way to have 2 databases on the one server, differing only in that

Database1: the sprocs have ‘WITH ENCRYPTION’

Database2: the sprocs do NOT.

If that was possible, it’d be pretty sweet.If not, what would be the next best way to implement this?

Many thanks,

Yogiberr.

• Not entirely sure what you want to achieve. Each database on the server is independent of each other, unless of course you specifically reference an object in another database.

Hope this helps

Phill Carter

--------------------

Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

--------------------

• I wouldn't rely too much on WITH ENCRYPTION for your truly top secret code. The encryption algorithm is fairly easily cracked.

Cheers,

- Mark

Edited by - mccork on 09/21/2003 10:53:29 PM

Cheers,
    - Mark

• Hi folks,

Thanks for the replies.

So, I assume then that it must be a major hassle to seriously protect code in sql server?I thought I was on to a good thing when I saw the 'WITH ENCRYPTION' thing.I have been looking for decent articles on this sort of thing.Has anyone come across a method of code protection that is an improvement on the 'with encryption'?

Thanks for any suggestions.

yogi.

• You're in the wrong forum if you want to protect/hide what your database code does. A lot of the forum members would be operational/support DBA's that need to know what's going on in order to troubleshoot and tune the database and server.

By all means encrypt your stored procedure code (although as mccork pointed out, it's easy to crack) but then be prepared to provide the DBA rather hefty support when things aren't running quite right.

If you really want to protect your code, put it in a DLL or COM object. Not in the database where it will hinder effective server/application support.

Hope this helps

Phill Carter

--------------------

--------------------

• Hi Phil,

Thanks bud, I'll look into it.

yogiberr

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply