WMI Event Watcher Task

• Hello guys,

I am using WMI Event Watcher Task to watch for any files placed in the folder....How does it actually work?? Should the package be running all the time

Thanks

• sandyinfowave (7/12/2011)

Hello guys,

I am using WMI Event Watcher Task to watch for any files placed in the folder....How does it actually work?? Should the package be running all the time

Thanks

Yes, you'll need for the package to be running while you want it to be watching for files. Once files are detected it will carry out whatever actions you specify per the configuration options.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• So it means the package should be running 24/7 ....Does it impact the performance of the server?? 🙂

• If you can install 3rd party components, try the following:

http://www.sqlis.com/post/file-watcher-task.aspx

It is much easier to configure than the WMI Event Task.

And yes, your package needs to be running, but an idle package shouldn't consume too much resources.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• I agree with Koen on all points. The File Watcher Task is far easier but it will require an extra file to be deployed to all your servers before your package can run so just know what you're signing up for.

Regarding this:

sandyinfowave (7/12/2011)

So it means the package should be running 24/7 ....Does it impact the performance of the server?? 🙂

Yes your package will run 24/7. It has to otherwise the Event watcher can't be watching 🙂 As far as server performance, a WMI event watcher is very lightweight. For practical conversation the only resources your package will use while it's waiting for a file to arrive is the bit of memory required for the package to be loaded. CPU usage should be 0 until a file arrives.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Thanks for your input

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply