Women and Men - Same or Different?

• I'd agree we need to do more here, but

more from workers != more hours

It's a question of being more efficient and being more strategic.

• mtillman-921105 (10/15/2010)

With the stiff competition coming from off-shoring of American jobs to places like India where they literally work around the clock for 1/4 the pay of an American worker, we must streamline our operations and expect more from our workers here states-side if we want to continue to compete in the global workplace and economy. That's reality folks!.

Actually, I have to respectfully disagree. That's happening anyway. So you work youself to death for what? To be outsourced anyway. It's a sucker's game.:rolleyes:

With double digit unemployment and millions currently out of work, if someone does not want to put in the extra hours you can bet that most companies will find someone out there fast very willing to replace them that will! I see it everyday.:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• TravisDBA (10/15/2010)

mtillman-921105 (10/15/2010)

With the stiff competition coming from off-shoring of American jobs to places like India where they literally work around the clock for 1/4 the pay of an American worker, we must streamline our operations and expect more from our workers here states-side if we want to continue to compete in the global workplace and economy. That's reality folks!.

Actually, I have to respectfully disagree. That's happening anyway. So you work yourself to death for what? To be outsourced anyway. It's a sucker's game.:rolleyes:

With double digit unemployment and millions currently out of work, if someone does not want to put in the extra hours you can bet that most companies will find someone out there fast very willing to replace them that will! I see it everyday.:-D

Well, the flip side of that is that there are also jobs out there where they don't push people too hard. So, if a company expects insane hours, it's limiting it's talent to only those who are willing to put up with it. And they may not be the sharpest knives in the drawer.

By the way, TravisDBA, I'm not saying that I'm against some extra work. The lady you talked about sounded too spoiled as a matter of fact. After all, you're trying to run a business, you have to be able to count on people being there.

I just get upset when I hear of people having to work 70 or more hours a week. That's rediculous and surely you're more reasonable than that. 🙂

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• mtillman-921105 (10/15/2010)

TravisDBA (10/15/2010)

mtillman-921105 (10/15/2010)

Actually, I have to respectfully disagree. That's happening anyway. So you work yourself to death for what? To be outsourced anyway. It's a sucker's game.:rolleyes:

Well, the flip side of that is that there are also jobs out there where they don't push people too hard. So, if a company expects insane hours, it's limiting it's talent to only those who are willing to put up with it. And they may not be the sharpest knives in the drawer.

By the way, TravisDBA, I'm not saying that I'm against some extra work. The lady you talked about sounded too spoiled as a matter of fact. After all, you're trying to run a business, you have to be able to count on people being there.

I just get upset when I hear of people having to work 70 or more hours a week. That's rediculous and surely you're more reasonable than that. 🙂

70 hours! Brother, there was one week where I put in 80. The point is in this business it happens and you have to be counted on to handle it. Most IT shops are 24/7 these days so people shoukd know that going in, particularly DBA's. It's part of the territory. The woman was not spoiled, nor was she an anomaly. I have heard that a lot from women in this industry, they want the good money but don't want to pay the dues that many of us have had to do over the years. So, if you want a nine to five job, go sell flowers! 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 78 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply