Would You Move For a Job?

• It really depends on the company and the recruiter, some companies have recruiters they trust to understand their requirements and not jerk them around when sending them candidates.

• ZZartin (4/12/2016)

It really depends on the company and the recruiter, some companies have recruiters they trust to understand their requirements and not jerk them around when sending them candidates.

I should have added, they did send me to the area where I was looking at that time, but when you drive 2+ hours, one way, to only find out you didn't have the skills the company was looking for is a real turn off on using them again.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• below86 (4/12/2016)

ZZartin (4/12/2016)

It really depends on the company and the recruiter, some companies have recruiters they trust to understand their requirements and not jerk them around when sending them candidates.

I should have added, they did send me to the area where I was looking at that time, but when you drive 2+ hours, one way, to only find out you didn't have the skills the company was looking for is a real turn off on using them again.

Another thing to take into consideration is that, if the recruiter somehow bungles the introduction between you and the company, then it could jeoprodize your chances for consideration as a candidate with that company going forward. Making a good first impression is critical, and you don't want to end up looking bad, either by misrepresentation or by association. I say that, but of course, like everyone, I've still worked with recruiters as a job seeker in the recent past. It's just too easy to reply to something that sounds like a good opportunity, and then let someone else make the arrangements. I'd just reccomend not working exclusively through a recruiter. There are a lot of good direct hire positions out there, and in fact they could be the best.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (4/12/2016)

While job searching last year, the biggest obstacle I had to overcome was IT recruiters. My advise is: Don't rely (or even waste your time) on 3rd party recruiters, always start your job search by applying for direct hire positions through the company's job board or by making contacts with hiring managers or employees of company through neworking groups or LinkedIn.

Personally, I do both. I always use recruiters, because so many companies use them. I use multiple recruiters, have a short sit down to talk with them on how to present me and what I want, as well as insisting I'm aware of where they send my resume. I use multiple recruiters and keep a small document handy that notes who sent my resume where.

However I keep looking on my own.

Use your network, let friends know. You never know who will ping you about an opening.

• below86 (4/12/2016)

ZZartin (4/12/2016)

I always like to have a short phone interview first, for just this reason. Let's spend 10-20 minutes deciding if this is a potential fit.

• I've got a question on how I should handle a situation. I've been looking at local companies and I've found one that has an opening I think I would be a good candidate for. The problem is I don't think I'll be able to have my resume and cover letter ready before the deadline posted.

Should I send an email before the deadline and describe my situation and let them know I could have it within a few days after the deadline?

Or submit it after the deadline and acknowledge that I know it is late but would like to be considered? Or submit late without any explanation?

Or any other thoughts on how I should handle this? If you were to get a resume after the deadline what would you do?

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• Well, there's a deadline. If you don't meet the deadline, you're probably not going to be considered (unless none of the other candidates work out) or at least get viewed slightly negatively.

I guess the bigger question is what's stopping you from putting together a quick resume and cover letter to get your foot in the door? Your resume doesn't have to be absolutely perfect and it doesn't have to be the one you use going forward, but you should be able to summarize your general responsibilities/positions over the last 25 years, list your active skills, and add some major accomplishments along the way to at least have a page or two. (Probably more, but you can likely leave off a lot of details for that.) You know the resume is either going into the scanner to pick up keywords or will get a glance or two from those making the decisions. Tailor it to the position a bit and make sure it reads easily, proofread, have someone else proofread, and submit. It's better than missing out on a position for which you feel well-suited.

Of course, take all of that advice for what it's worth. Something else will likely come along, but if there's a deadline and you need to get something in by that deadline, I think you're doing yourself a disservice by not getting something in before that. You can always bring an updated resume to the interview if it comes to that. 🙂

• below86, I would not miss the deadline to submit your resume and cover letter. At least send your resume, even if its years out of date. The cover letter is shorter and more focused, make the most of your application by putting in the good parts into your cover letter; everything pertinent to the position that you know you can do, that's not covered in your old resume.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Don't miss the deadline. Move things to get your resume ready, including an all nighter.

• below86 (4/13/2016)

I've got a question on how I should handle a situation. I've been looking at local companies and I've found one that has an opening I think I would be a good candidate for. The problem is I don't think I'll be able to have my resume and cover letter ready before the deadline posted.

Should I send an email before the deadline and describe my situation and let them know I could have it within a few days after the deadline?

Or submit it after the deadline and acknowledge that I know it is late but would like to be considered? Or submit late without any explanation?

Or any other thoughts on how I should handle this? If you were to get a resume after the deadline what would you do?

Don't be a perfectionist. Just block out an entire afternoon to type up the resume and get it to them. Even if this first resume is kind of rough, you can always go back and polish it up more for the next time.

True, it's always best to submit your resume as soon as possible, so it gets ahead in the queue when it comes time for the company to start scheduling interviews, however, I don't think most employers would toss out a good resume simply because it was submitted past a certain "deadline". Where I work, we've been advertising and occasionally conducting interviews for the same open DBA position for serveral months. When a job listing expires, we'll simply re-post it again and the search continues. I know that job boards and corporate websites may seem cold and impersonal, but on the other end of a job posting is an IT manager who happens to be nothing more than a regular Joe trying to keep his department staffed with good people.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• How strict the company is for deadlines depends on the company. Some might let it slide. Some will flag it as "do not review" and toss it. Some might hold it for the future. When we were looking for a new pastor for our church, the search committee set up a basic set of rules (submit to this e-mail address, by this date - nothing horribly strict). Anything done differently was ignored and maybe filed as "do not consider". I wasn't on the team doing that so don't know more than it was at least ignored if they didn't follow the guidelines.

As others have said, it's worth it to submit something by the deadline and not hope that they might be forgiving if you miss the deadline.

• below86 (4/13/2016)

This. Exactly this.

Why? Because if you were reporting to me and you were going to be late on something then I need to know immediately and when it will be resolved. The full answer a couple of days late without forewarning is unacceptable.

Remember everything about the recruitment process is a window on how the other party will be once the engagement begins.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Something else to consider is whether you want to work for a company that hires someone just to meet an arbitrary deadline, if you're worried about competition then by all means you'll certainly need to compete for it. But that deadline could just as easily mean they're stockpiling resumes now and will start reviewing them on that date which could just as easily result in all the initial resumes being tossed out.

• ZZartin (4/13/2016)

Something else to consider is whether you want to work for a company that hires someone just to meet an arbitrary deadline, if you're worried about competition then by all means you'll certainly need to compete for it. But that deadline could just as easily mean they're stockpiling resumes now and will start reviewing them on that date which could just as easily result in all the initial resumes being tossed out.

That's assuming that the deadline is arbitrary. They might have a very good reason to have a cutoff date. Even if they don't, how well you can follow instructions does reflect on you as a potential employee. Maybe larger companies can afford to stockpile resumes for later review, but in the smaller ones for which I've worked you generally review them as they come in (within reason) and make a decision on whether it's worth further review at that point. If all the resumes are tossed, they'll either re-post the position or the window will have passed and the position won't be filled. (which I think is ridiculous, but I've seen that happen, too)

• Eric M Russell (4/13/2016)

below86 (4/13/2016)

I've got a question on how I should handle a situation. I've been looking at local companies and I've found one that has an opening I think I would be a good candidate for. The problem is I don't think I'll be able to have my resume and cover letter ready before the deadline posted.

Don't be a perfectionist. Just block out an entire afternoon to type up the resume and get it to them. Even if this first resume is kind of rough, you can always go back and polish it up more for the next time.

True, it's always best to submit your resume as soon as possible, so it gets ahead in the queue when it comes time for the company to start scheduling interviews, however, I don't think most employers would toss out a good resume simply because it was submitted past a certain "deadline". Where I work, we've been advertising and occasionally conducting interviews for the same open DBA position for serveral months. When a job listing expires, we'll simply re-post it again and the search continues. I know that job boards and corporate websites may seem cold and impersonal, but on the other end of a job posting is an IT manager who happens to be nothing more than a regular Joe trying to keep his department staffed with good people.

Just make sure there are no typos, wrong but correctly spelled word(s), grammatical errors. Shows a lack of attention to details.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply