WSFC Cluster Max Nodes and spanning AG's across them

• As far as I understand it I can have up to 16 nodes in a WSFC cluster. I know I can have up to 5 nodes within an Availability Group. It seems possible that I could have the following setup :

Server 01 - 10 in a single WSFC cluster

AG1 using Server 01-05

AG2 using Server 06-10

AG3 using Server 03-07

If this is possible this means that I can easily cluster up to 16 servers together and then move the AG's around as needed (assuming space and load etc is fine). It would make things very easy to put all of the servers in the same WSFC cluster, or at least, add to it as I go. If I need more than 16 servers then I would need to look at moving things into a different cluster.

Is my thinking here right ?

Thanks

Ryan

• ryan.offord (1/4/2013)

As far as I understand it I can have up to 16 nodes in a WSFC cluster.

Correct!

ryan.offord (1/4/2013)

I know I can have up to 5 nodes within an Availability Group.

Correct again, the AO group will support a primary replica and up to 4 secondaries (5 in total). See this link

ryan.offord (1/4/2013)

It seems possible that I could have the following setup :

Server 01 - 10 in a single WSFC cluster

AG1 using Server 01-05

AG2 using Server 06-10

AG3 using Server 03-07

If this is possible this means that I can easily cluster up to 16 servers together and then move the AG's around as needed (assuming space and load etc is fine). It would make things very easy to put all of the servers in the same WSFC cluster, or at least, add to it as I go. If I need more than 16 servers then I would need to look at moving things into a different cluster.

Is my thinking here right ?

Thanks

Ryan

You could certainly add\remove secondary replicas as long as the config stays within the bounds of the AO group pre requesites.

Creating an AO group across a set of replicas requires that they are all part of the same WSFC anyway, see my article at this link[/url] for a basic overview.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply