WWBOD

• My answers would include back to school for more in-depth understanding of early-childhood development, then using that knowledge to promote programs for training parental skills.

I suppose the big question is whether we're spending our lives in a way that would lead to no regrets. Whether you're a believer in God or not, the motto of the Jesuits is good advice for a satisfying life: Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam, For the Greater Glory of God. That is, live to make the world a better place, and you will reap the rewards, whether in this life or (if you believe) in the next.

• Burninator (1/13/2012)

Iā€™d like to build a homeless shelter that would be ever so much more than a cot and soup kitchen. It would provide a place for people to regroup, learn skills, and take care of their health. It would also be an animal rescue. Rescued animals can be great for rescued humans, and vice versa.

Check out FareStart in Seattle. Very cool - http://farestart.org/

• First I'd spend some time with my parents and care for their needs. Next, I'd spend a few months traveling to exotic locations and just relaxing on the beach. After that, I'd divide my time between community service projects and establishing a small business of some kind.

• First, contact a tax accountant and a tax attorney (separate firms).

Second, I would give the appropriate two weeks notice and start clearing out my office.

Third, take a short vacation (can't stand being on vacations for more than a week...kinda weird but has to do with getting bored too easy).

Fourth, Sell current home and buy home/property (something simple) in some agreed upon (with wife) state, as well as recreational property where I currently reside (Alaska).

Fifth, start sport fish guiding business.

Sixth, convince wife to keep working from the health care benefits... This may be the most difficult by far.

• Mike B in AK (1/13/2012)

Sixth, convince wife to keep working from the health care benefits... This may be the most difficult by far.

You are a brave man to even suggest it.

• I might hold up on the second and fourth one if I were you. I have heard with some state lotteries that it is taking up to 1-2 years to see any actual money from them.:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• Couldn't you afford medical benefits with your FU Money? Maybe there's another reason šŸ˜‰

• Spend more time with the family, go back to school to study music and recently found a college which offers a BA degree in auto restoration; how cool is that?!

• Well, I was sort of thinking if I could find the wife a second and maybe third job I could retire and could do it without FU money, LOL šŸ˜€

• Yay deslexia! I read that as finding a second or third wife...

• I gotta go with HOW much FU money?

If it was a little bit, like a year or three off, well, meh. Keep working and take a 3 week sabbatical in say... Vegas. :w00t:

If it was lifetime set as I exist now... Hey, cool. I'd keep my hand in the pie for those accidental issues that come up as a part time consultant and probably stay involved in the field, at least from a far away viewpoint.

If it was Holy Crap I Won The Lottery... SEE YA! I'll drop by PASS just to meet y'all and buy ya dinner after. I don't need a mansion. I just want the maid! I honestly have no frickin CLUE what I'd do. Starting a Paintball Arena sounds fun. Maybe get a strip club going, or some hot dance club and play with the girls, with enough profitable overhead allowance to bring in some really good managers since my 'fortune' didn't depend on the profits. Finish my skydiving license at my leisure and buy myself a little piper cub, and 'rent' a co-pilot for when I left.

So many things... so many things...

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• I seem to remember Steve saying that when Red-Gate bought SQLServerCentral he got enough to anything but not enough to do nothing.

Steve, I don't know if you are just naturally calm, cheerful and relaxed but if you can give that impression after a night in the Adelphi in Liverpool I'd say you have the answer to how much FU$ is required.

I think FU$ money probably wouldn't bring happiness to the under 40s. (Spot the bias). I think you need to reach a point in your life where you need a deep understand what makes you tick and what makes you happy.

• David.Poole (1/13/2012)

I think FU$ money probably wouldn't bring happiness to the under 40s. (Spot the bias). I think you need to reach a point in your life where you need a deep understand what makes you tick and what makes you happy.

Well, I appear to be living the stereotype... šŸ™‚ I'm 36! :hehe:

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• David.Poole (1/13/2012)

I seem to remember Steve saying that when Red-Gate bought SQLServerCentral he got enough to anything but not enough to do nothing.

That's exactly what I had, and I guess still have. I got a car, not much else, but I have security and money in the bank.

Steve, I don't know if you are just naturally calm, cheerful and relaxed but if you can give that impression after a night in the Adelphi in Liverpool I'd say you have the answer to how much FU$ is required.

LOL, I don't know I'd ever be satisfied, and if I won the lottery, I'd have a hard time stopping what I'm doing now. I enjoy it and the biggest change for me would be traveling first class.

I'm thinking that "never need to work again" money would be about US$8mm.

Never work again? Can't fathom that.

• If I get enough money to do what I want, I'll start a non-profit organization for empowering the youth in third-world countries thru education.

I blogged about following your passions last month because most of us are stuck with having to work to get that paycheck. However, if we wait until we have that much money to do work that matters and pursue our passions, we're missing out on maximizing our fullest potential.

To those who are already following their passions and doing work that matters, you are our inspiration

"Helping people and organizations grow and develop their full potential as God has planned for them"
    Twitter | Blog | LinkedIn

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply