x86 mode on a 64-bit machine

• Hi everyone. Upon asking our IT department to update an instance of SQL Server 2005 to SP3, I found out that we are running SQL Server 2005 as 32 bit on our 64 bit machine. Is there a good reason for doing this? I had assumed that the instance was 64 bit because the server is, but now I see that this was a poor assumption. Should I leave this alone, or should I request that we work on a plan for moving to the 64 bit version of SQL Server 2005?

Please forgive my ignorance here. I am trying to help out and cover DBA responsibilities but have never been formally trained. I tried googling this scenario, but I was only able to find users asking how to switch from 32 bit to 64 bit, without an explanation for why they were running the 32 bit version on a 64 bit server to begin with.

Thanks everyone!

Cathy

• That is not correct what is generally needed is if you have a very old application like those using .NET 1.1 you need to run the database in x86 mode that is using the SQL Server in the x86 directory instead of the x64 directory. But that is just for that database not the whole installation, the same goes if you are using Access or Excel with your database you must use x86 because there is no x64 version of Office.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Hi Cathy

If your server is already installed as x64 Server it will be better to install x64 SQL Server. If you are running an x86 application on an x64 OS it will run in WOW64 mode which is an emulation of an 32 bit system. So if possible you/they should switch to an x64 SQL Server

Greets

Flo

• Gift Peddie (3/16/2009)

That is not correct what is generally needed is if you have a very old application like those using .NET 1.1 you need to run the database in x86 mode that is using the SQL Server in the x86 directory instead of the x64 directory. But that is just for that database not the whole installation, the same goes if you are using Access or Excel with your database you must use x86 because there is no x64 version of Office.

hmm... your db-engine can still be 64-bit and take advantage of all that comes with it !

Maybe the db-level might be kept to 80 (sql2000) for a little while, so the access or excel devs have time to modify queries using *= or =*.

They may not be able to use the new datatypes, but that's about it.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• hmm... your db-engine can still be 64-bit and take advantage of all that comes with it !

Maybe the db-level might be kept to 80 (sql2000) for a little while, so the access or excel devs have time to modify queries using *= or =*.

The relational engine being x64 is what I said and I was actually talking about Access and Excel with SSIS the code will not compile without referencing the x86 compiler in the SQL Server x86 directory.

And I am not aware of code running that directory being able to use x64 resources.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Thanks everyone. Software installation is limited to IT staff in my organization, so I will submit a request to get our x64 servers running the 64-bit version of SQL Server 2005.

• I am trying to help out and cover DBA responsibilities but have never been formally trained. I tried googling this scenario, but I was only able to find users asking how to switch from 32 bit to 64 bit, without an explanation for why they were running the 32 bit version on a 64 bit server to begin with.

A none IT department employee have the above tasks in a 64bits box? That is recipe of a lot of complications because I resolve 64bits issues based on specifics of connecting application.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Gift Peddie (3/16/2009)

hmm... your db-engine can still be 64-bit and take advantage of all that comes with it !

The relational engine being x64 is what I said and I was actually talking about Access and Excel with SSIS the code will not compile without referencing the x86 compiler in the SQL Server x86 directory.

And I am not aware of code running that directory being able to use x64 resources.

Sorry for that. I totally misinterpreted the context. ... must have had a lesser moment :blush:

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply