</Response>

I am using this:

DECLARE @xml XML

SELECT @xml = xml_data FROM #XmlImportTest

DECLARE @Pointer INT

EXECUTE sp_xml_preparedocument @Pointer OUTPUT,@xml

SELECT

[Status] = Table1.Column1.value('./../Status[1]', 'varchar(50)'),

PONumber = Table1.Column1.value('./../PONumber[1]', 'varchar(24)')

FROM @xml.nodes('/Response/PONumber') AS Table1(Column1)

I am getting this result:

Status PONumber

Error A123456

Error A123456

I am getting same PONumber as first and I need both the numbers something like this.

Status PONumber

Error A123456

Error A789101

Please let me know if there is some way to get this query results.

Thanks in advance for help.

• Two things, first in your SQL script:

DECLARE @xml XML

SELECT @xml = xml_data FROM #XmlImportTest

DECLARE @Pointer INT

EXECUTE sp_xml_preparedocument @Pointer OUTPUT,@xml

SELECT

PONumber = Table1.Column1.value('./../PONumber[1]', 'varchar(24)')

You do not need "[font="Courier New"]sp_xml_preparedocument[/font]" anymore, XML data types and the XML functions ([font="Courier New"].node()[/font], etc..) supersede it, so it and your @Pointer aren't doing anything for you except slowing it down. Still, that is not what is causing your problem.

Secondly, your .nodes() call [font="Courier New"]('/Response/PONumber')[/font] is returning a current-pointer at every instance of <PONumber>, so far, so good.

Your [Status] column is coming from the function call .[font="Courier New"]value('./../Status[1]', ...)[/font], which tells it to 1) go up to the parent of the current-pointer ('./..') and then 2) find the first <Status> child element under it ('/Status[1]') which is just what you want and always returns the value "Error". Again, so far so good...

However, you use the same syntax for your [PONumber] column: [font="Courier New"].value('./../PONumber[1]', ...)[/font] which again tells it to 1) go up to the parent of the current-pointer ('./..') and then 2) find the first <PONumber> child element under it ('/PONumber[b]1[/b]') which is always returns the value "A123456", not at all what you want.

The problem is in the part (1), "go up to the parent element of the current-pointer" as this effectively destroys your current-pointer context, which was already pointing at exactly the <PONumber> element that you wanted. To fix this, you use the much simpler expression [font="Courier New"].value('.', [/font]...[font="Courier New"])[/font] which simply says to "return the value at the current-pointer".

So your query should look like this:

SELECT

PONumber = Table1.Column1.value('.', 'varchar(24)')

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Great! Thanks for the detailed response.

I was trying pointer to check if can be done with OPENXML but I like your solution.

Thanks,

SQLArch

• Glad I could help.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply