XP Remote Desktop to identify other User Sessions

• As a DBA, I was forbidden to access a SQL Server via XP's "Remote Desktop" - due to the 2 license limitation.  (2 other Users were currently logged in remotely)

On XP Professional, how do I view other sessions to the SQL Server?

In W/2000, I use Terminal Services Manager.  Do I still need to use that or does XP Remote Desktop have an equivalent? 

if I do need to install TS Manager, is that a Windows Component I can add via Add/Remove Pgms?

thx in advance.

BT
  • Start...Run...TSAdmin.exe

Connect to the machine by name, and as long as you have priviledges, you can see the sessions, and reset them if required. However, I can't remember whether TSAdmin is installed OOB on XP... Try it.

Steve

Steve

• If you don't have tsadmin on your xp machine (like me) you might try using xp_cmdshell in QA to run a command line to check who's on and reset them.  Something like this will give you who is on:

xp_cmdshell 'query session'

Windows 2003 commands are here (many of them should work on a Win2k server too):

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/fb4b56c1-3b92-4670-958c-00acb4dc2247.mspx

I've only used the query session through QA but I've also used reset session at the actual command line.

Hope that helps...

-Chris

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply