xp_cmdshell & ODBC WrapperRead() error...

• Hi all,

SQL Server 2000 SP3a, SAN Connection, Standard Edition, 2000 Server edition OS.

I've implemented a log shipping program on one set of sql servers already, the SVR1 set, which are working fine.

I am implementing this on the SVR2 set and I have the wrapperread() problem.

All using SP3a, with MDAC version outlined below. All are reported to be running the SP1 Refresh.

SVR1 - 2.7 SP1 Refresh

SVR1_DR - 2.7 SP1 Refresh

SVR2 - 2.7 SP1 / 2.7 SP1 Refresh

SVR2_DR - 2.7 SP1 / 2.7 SP1 Refresh

When executing the command below in T-SQL I get the error below.

EXEC @sentok = master.dbo.xp_cmdshell @cmd

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]ConnectionRead (WrapperRead()).

Server: Msg 11, Level 16, State 1, Line 0

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Regards,

JS

• Are Named Pipes and TCP/IP enabled on the second set of servers??

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• Hi,

Yes, named pipes are enabled on the remote server, I have checked in the protocols window in SQL Server.

The code runs for about 8 seconds before falling over, with the same error....?!?!?!?!?!?

I have MDAC 2.8 on my client pc, which I am using to fire off the commands on the primary server which is using MDAC 2.7 to the DR server which is using 2.7

Thanks,

Rob.

• hi,

It seems to be either an old MDAC or a security problem ( is the user granted to execute xp_cmdshell and does he have privs to access the files ). If not it can be a network issue.

BTW; how dit you establish to connect the SAN to a Standard Edition. Regarding the documentation on this its not possible and Enterprice edition is recommended.....

GKramer

The Netherlands.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply